Yamaha or Onkyo CD player

J

janlafata

Enthusiast
Recently decided to update my CD player for my home stereo system. My Yamaha CDX-390 has performed admirably over the years, but like many people who use their computer for their music interests now, I needed something that will play CDR's and MP3's.

Since it's been many years since I shopped for a player the first thing that surprised me when looking around now was the lack of single disc players available or even a decent player at budget prices. I guess many people have been going the DVD player route though to fill their needs as an audio only player and that has changed what the factories are putting out now .

For the moment I went ahead and purchased the Yamaha DVD-S1800 DVD player. I have 30 days to try it out though because I'm still very curious about the Onkyo C-S5VL for a few reasons.

1. I'm still wondering if a person will get as good as performance with CD playback with a DVD player as they would a CD only player, but the Yamaha does sound very good. So I'm trying to find out what kind of sound the Onkyo has as I've never owned any of their components and have always been partial to the brighter Yamaha sound.

2. Another issue I have with the Yamaha, be it small, is that it does not have a fast forward search. It has, and is actually described in the manual as a slow search, but I really miss the zippyness of the fast search of my old Yamaha.

3. There's also not a lot of display information on the small Yamaha screen, which is not that big of deal really. So that's about it. I did get a decent price on the Yamaha at $249 and the Onkyo is about $360 but price is not a factor.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis