Yamaha Movie Theater modes ?

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
Hello everyone, I wanted the opinion of others, on Which Yamaha movie theater mode they use, and why ? I definitely like these modes Better than (Straight) or Surround standard. Theses modes are as follows, Spectacle , SC-FI, Adventure, and General . What are the differences in these modes in layman's terms, The user manuals are too vague. Please only people with experience With these modes. Thank you

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

My fav is Adventure. The differences are that some are more “echo-y” than others. I think Spectacle is the most“echo-y.” It would be a good choice if you were watching a concert video that was recorded in a large auditorium.

Honestly, it’s best just to use them and see which one you like best. You get the best effect with the extra front speakers.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
multiple Yamaha AVR owner here and mine are all set to Sci-Fi for Home Theater and Straight (LR+sub) for music, after testing, over the years. I don't know if I can explain the differences between the different modes but Sci-Fi seems to be the best choice to my ears and other family members for dialogue and a full soundstage in my 5.1 set-up. I would recommend picking ur initial 3 favorite modes. then take turns watching the same scene in the movie and then decide what u prefer. there is no right answer to ur question.

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
Ok thank you. I did find a website that tried too explain the differences in these modes. He said SCI-FI for all action and sci-fi movies and. Spectacle and adventure For movies with large musical scores and general is basically drama for TV show type things. I just wanted to educate myself exactly how these modes work I will do what you recommended thanks

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
One other thing, how do you set your room size and DSP level in your SCI-FI MODE? You can pick .01 to 2.0. If you have a room 15 x 15 where should you set this mode ? Thank you if you want to set this mode to 2.0 room size, how big of a room with that really be

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
multiple Yamaha AVR owner here and mine are all set to Sci-Fi for Home Theater and Straight (LR+sub) for music, after testing, over the years. I don't know if I can explain the differences between the different modes but Sci-Fi seems to be the best choice to my ears and other family members for dialogue and a full soundstage in my 5.1 set-up. I would recommend picking ur initial 3 favorite modes. then take turns watching the same scene in the movie and then decide what u prefer. there is no right answer to ur question.
Thank you for your response I just have one question about a few DSP settings Room size is the most confusing where should this be set? They come set to 1.0 and adjust to 2.0 and down to 0.1. ? How is your set ? And DSP level ? I have a L shaped living room. Probably 15x 17 or so. Please help me Yamaha does not really explain this well in conjunction with your own room thanks again

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
I believe all Yamaha receivers have the same DSP parameters

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

Ok thank you. I did find a website that tried too explain the differences in these modes. He said SCI-FI for all action and sci-fi movies and. Spectacle and adventure For movies with large musical scores and general is basically drama for TV show type things. I just wanted to educate myself exactly how these modes work I will do what you recommended thanks
“Sci-Fi” for sci-fi movies? “Music” for musicals? Honestly, I find that info to be nothing but useless cliché.

Back in 1986 or so Yamaha originally created the DSP modes for music listening. The idea was to mimic the acoustics of different real-life venues (and they even let us know exactly what and where some of them were) so that you would almost feel like you were really at that place while listening to your CD or whatever.

Home theater came down the pikes some years later, and Yamaha started adding DSP effects to Dolby Pro Logic (and later Dolby Digital, DTS, etc.) processing. But as far as I’m concerned, Yamaha’s original vision for the music DSP effects still holds for the movie DSPs. Basically, they are there to mimic an acoustical space. So if you want to watch your movie “in” a large theater, use the Spectacle setting, as it is the most “echoey” and therefore sounds the most like a large theater. “Adventure” has a “tight” sound and sounds like you’re in a small theater. And so forth.

Thank you for your response I just have one question about a few DSP settings Room size is the most confusing where should this be set? They come set to 1.0 and adjust to 2.0 and down to 0.1. ? How is your set ? And DSP level ? I have a L shaped living room. Probably 15x 17 or so. Please help me Yamaha does not really explain this well in conjunction with your own room thanks again
Room Size increases the apparent “size” of the “room” that the effect is mimicking. I used to mess with a lot of the parameter settings back when I first started with Yamaha’s DSPs, but eventually found little use for them. The parameter adjustments adjust (obviously) the parameters of various aspects of the effect, if don’t quite like them. Like, maybe the decay time is too long or short for your taste. I eventually figured out that it if you don’t like the way a certain effect sounds (“Adventure,” or “Jazz Club” for instance), it makes more sense to just find another one you do like, rather than endlessly tweaking the former to “whip it into shape,” as it were. There are so many effects to choose from, it’s no problem to find one you like.

In the end, about the only parameter I adjust is the Trim level, which gives less or more of the effect. IOW, find the effect(s) you like and adjust their levels up or down to suit your tastes. Pretty straightforward.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai

“Sci-Fi” for sci-fi movies? “Music” for musicals? Honestly, I find that info to be nothing but useless cliché.

Back in 1986 or so Yamaha originally created the DSP modes for music listening. The idea was to mimic the acoustics of different real-life venues (and they even let us know exactly what and where some of them were) so that you would almost feel like you were really at that place while listening to your CD or whatever.

Home theater came down the pikes some years later, and Yamaha started adding DSP effects to Dolby Pro Logic (and later Dolby Digital, DTS, etc.) processing. But as far as I’m concerned, Yamaha’s original vision for the music DSP effects still holds for the movie DSPs. Basically, they are there to mimic an acoustical space. So if you want to watch your movie “in” a large theater, use the Spectacle setting, as it is the most “echoey” and therefore sounds the most like a large theater. “Adventure” has a “tight” sound and sounds like you’re in a small theater. And so forth.

Room Size increases the apparent “size” of the “room” that the effect is mimicking. I used to mess with a lot of the parameter settings back when I first started with Yamaha’s DSPs, but eventually found little use for them. The parameter adjustments adjust (obviously) the parameters of various aspects of the effect, if don’t quite like them. Like, maybe the decay time is too long or short for your taste. I eventually figured out that it if you don’t like the way a certain effect sounds (“Adventure,” or “Jazz Club” for instance), it makes more sense to just find another one you do like, rather than endlessly tweaking the former to “whip it into shape,” as it were. There are so many effects to choose from, it’s no problem to find one you like.

In the end, about the only parameter I adjust is the Trim level, which gives less or more of the effect. IOW, find the effect(s) you like and adjust their levels up or down to suit your tastes. Pretty straightforward.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
uh, yeah ... what he said.
say goodnight Gracie.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
simply put, these all distort the sound in such a way that some find pleasing while others do not.

A such, there is no right or wrong and the names applied to these functions is the creation of the manufacturer themselves and has no basis in reality. The end result never existed in nature.

So, trying to describe what these sound like to another person is not unlike trying to describe the flavor of chocolate to someone who never had it, or what sex (with another person) feels like to a virgin.

To paraphrase a politician, you've got to try it to see if you like it.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

simply put, these all distort the sound...
That’s one thing I like about Yamaha’s approach to DSP effects compared to other manufacturers. With the recommended two extra front effects speakers in use, the main left and right channels are “straight” with no processing added. (At least on the older receivers I've had experience with - I haven't used anything from the Aventage era.)

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
simply put, these all distort the sound in such a way that some find pleasing while others do not..
I prefer the word manipulate. Distort is such a harsh word :p ...

I've played with the DSP modes and I leave them off most of the time. However, there are a few places where I do use them. When watching sports, escpecailly NHL, I will set the entertainment to sports as it does a really good job simulating ambient sound found in hockey rinks. I've heard spectator comments in this mode that I would have not picked up on straight mode. Another is converting 2 channel movies into something more surround.

To the OP, you have to play with the various modes to see what you like/dislike. Some DSP modes are really good while others are not that great.

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Thank you for you response. i'm just one of those tech heads that Want to know exactly what those modes are doing . Yamaha has said in the past that they use concert hall data and opera house data for the adventure Mode . I was just curious as to what the others are . I know what room size does but wanted to know What 1.0 setting or 2.0 setting is really trying too mimic . Example how big would 1.0 be and how big would 2.0 be in real life. And shouldn't that parameter be set to your real room size ? Thank you for your response and I will definitely try what you recommended

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

I know what room size does but wanted to know What 1.0 setting or 2.0 setting is really trying too mimic . Example how big would 1.0 be and how big would 2.0 be in real life.
I’m afraid there is no way to quantify that. And it would be different for every DSP mode, because they all are derived from or are mimicking different sized rooms or auditoriums.

And shouldn't that parameter be set to your real room size ?
No, it’s purpose is to “enlarge” the venue or auditorium that the particular DSP is mimicking - e.g. from say, 60,000 cu. ft. to 90,000.

Every room has an acoustical “signature,” for lack of a better term. For instance in private residences, the difference between a room with ceramic tile floors vs. one with thick carpet. Same thing with performance venues. They all have different decay times or “liveness” based on the construction of the room – i.e. physical techniques used that diffuse reflections (such as irregular, “zig-zag” side walls), dampening materials, etc.

So consider a DSP effect “Hall B in Vienna.” The “Room Size” adjustment will simply modify the “acoustic properties” of the room (effect) to make it sound like it’s larger, while maintaining the acoustical signature of the room. Make sense?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
I’m afraid there is no way to quantify that. And it would be different for every DSP mode, because they all are derived from or are mimicking different sized rooms or auditoriums.

No, it’s purpose is to “enlarge” the venue or auditorium that the particular DSP is mimicking - e.g. from say, 60,000 cu. ft. to 90,000.

Every room has an acoustical “signature,” for lack of a better term. For instance in private residences, the difference between a room with ceramic tile floors vs. one with thick carpet. Same thing with performance venues. They all have different decay times or “liveness” based on the construction of the room – i.e. physical techniques used that diffuse reflections (such as irregular, “zig-zag” side walls), dampening materials, etc.

So consider a DSP effect “Hall B in Vienna.” The “Room Size” adjustment will simply modify the “acoustic properties” of the room (effect) to make it sound like it’s larger, while maintaining the acoustical signature of the room. Make sense?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Yes it does. I'm going to basically leave all the DSP modes set where Yamaha has them. I will only try and adjust the trim level. If one were to adjust the room size. The initial delay time should probably be changed A bit too, if you're making the venue larger ? Yes or no ?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes it does. I'm going to basically leave all the DSP modes set where Yamaha has them. I will only try and adjust the trim level. If one were to adjust the room size. The initial delay time should probably be changed A bit too, if you're making the venue larger ? Yes or no ?
Another thing to remember.. if you botch up the settings, you can always go back to the factory default settings.

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
Yea your right, thank you for your help. Sorry for the dumb questions . I just figured if one were to mess with the room size Parameter The initial delay time should be larger as well. Bigger venue larger delay? Although I am sure all the settings Yamaha has set, are closest to the venue in real life again thank you all.

Montucky

Montucky

Full Audioholic
While I've found the different modes fun to play with, I keep finding myself always just going back to straight mode. It's my belief (ie personal opinion) that movies are best to listen to the way the sound engineer intended for it to sound. Don't get me wrong though, sometimes watching a movie on Action or Sci-Fi mode can really knock your socks off. It can just sometimes to me seem a bit..."forced" if that makes sense. Almost like jacking up the low/high frequencies on an equalizer. Not saying I don't enjoy the different modes at times. I just prefer straight for the most part.

You just have to play with them with different movies/scenes to see what you like most.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis