Yamaha KX-800U Cassette Deck

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
This unit includes dbx as well as Dolby B and C and dbx is so far superior in its noise reduction that it makes me wonder why it didn't catch on.. I've tried a few cassettes and eliminates all tape hiss while maintaining the highs which the Dolby noise reduction formats could not do.

J

Jeepers

Full Audioholic
Maybe it is marketing and distribution related. Not every cassette deck had/has DBX. I used to have the Yamaha K-1020 and DBX was indeed better than Dolby B/C.

It is probably the same as with video systems. VHS won the battle but Betamax was better and what can be found in literature (no personal experience) Philips' V2000 was better than Betamax.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I've done some recording with this deck recording allbums that are not availabke digitally or prohibitively expensive to replace via CD. Im astounded at how well this deck records and plays. With DBX, the record levels can hit +16dB with no hint of audable distortion. No tape hiss, no rolled of high frequencies that is associated with Dolby B/C. Thats on a type II chrome tape.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I've done some recording with this deck recording allbums that are not availabke digitally or prohibitively expensive to replace via CD. Im astounded at how well this deck records and plays. With DBX, the record levels can hit +16dB with no hint of audable distortion. No tape hiss, no rolled of high frequencies that is associated with Dolby B/C. Thats on a type II chrome tape.
I own exactly 2 cassette tapes, and no player.

1 is my friend's punk rock band. They were pretty big in the Houston punk scene in the late 1990s. This tape is not replaceable, and it holds a lot of sentimental value.

The other is Have Another Beer With FEAR. This one is difficult to find on CD or vinyl, and you typically pay a hefty premium if you do find it on any format.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I own exactly 2 cassette tapes, and no player.

1 is my friend's punk rock band. They were pretty big in the Houston punk scene in the late 1990s. This tape is not replaceable, and it holds a lot of sentimental value.

The other is Have Another Beer With FEAR. This one is difficult to find on CD or vinyl, and you typically pay a hefty premium if you do find it on any format.
Now I know you understand. :) One can get a good used cassette deck for fairly cheap on kijiji or from EBay. I picked mine up used for $50 and its worth every penny.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm on the hunt for a 2nd deck but it needs to have dbx NR facility on it as the tapes I'm making now with the Yamaha employ dbx. Does anyone here or know of anyone who has a cassette deck they want to sell?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I found a 2nd Yamaha KX800U deck of Kijijji for $90 Cdn so I picked it up bring do impressed with this model's capabilities. I cleaned it up and did a side by side comparison to the other deck and I'm happy to report that they sound identical in pitch and output level.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis