J

JCAz

Enthusiast
Anyone have an opinion on this receiver?

I am putting a budget system together. I purchased the Athena Micra 6 (HTIB), but am replacing the two fronts with Athena ASF1 towers.

I believe the YAMAHA HTR-5860 is a new 2005 model & cannot find a single review. I'm trying to keep the budget under $500 on the receiver.

Any & all opinions appreciated :)

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
It would be similar to the 5760 with a few more bells and whistles. Same sound, same transformer. Great unit. Have you considered the Yamaha 1500? A little more powerful for about the same price. Not sure if the 5860 has something over it.

J

JCAz

Enthusiast
Thank you for the reply. Found a brand new unit for $360 incl. ship/warr.
:)

K

kingpk

Audiophyte
Which store for htr 5860

I am also interested in purchasing the Yamaha HTR 5860. Can you please tell me which store did you pick it for $360. Would be extremely thanksful if I too could save some $$$.

L

luiz gutierrez

Enthusiast
Yamaha HTR 5860

Hi people,

You will find some information relevant to your questions in the thread I started titled, I think: Yamaha RX-V657 and room set-up. The RX-V657 is the corresponding dealer-only, and higher-priced version of the HTR 5860. There are two professional reviews of the RX-657, one in AVGuide (and in the Yamaha site) and the other in Secrets of Home Theater, both exceptionally favorable. The HTR can be had from :) several places online for about $324 up. See thread for details.

Luiz

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Just purchased the HTR-5860 for $325 shipped from Electronics Expo, an authorized dealer. Received it on time and hooked it up last night.

The power and performance of this receiver will be more than adequate for your efficient Athena speakers in all but the largest rooms. I have an Athena Audion series bookshef setup.

With the AS-F1 fronts, you might find the need for a better center channel to keep up like the AS-C1.1 or C1.2. Use the extra Micra center as a surround back channel and the extra satelites as presence speakers.

Also, if you are willing to spend $500 + shipping, go for the RX-V1500 model. It has a bigger, cleaner AMP, more features, and THX. However, it doesn't include an XM-radio port.

ehead

ehead

Enthusiast
Man, I was pyched and ready to get this unit, but it's price is $500 now on Electronics Expo. Clearly they realized they had it under priced !

Amazon has it for the same price, btw.
Hell, it's only $11 more from bestbuy.

Anyhow, it looks great ... there is a HTR-5840 model that is only 6.1 and is about $400 at best buy. I'm thinking of swapping my Onkyo503 for that that one.

One other nice thing these Yamaha's have is S-video/composite upconversion to component, which the Onkyo is missing. Not that the picture would be any better, I guess it's just a matter of convenience ?

Though ... what do you guys think about this video upconverstion stuff ? Seems like it could possibly make the picture slightly worse if anything, by merely adding more circuits for the signal to go through.

-----

alright, here it is for $320:
http://www.plasmabay.com/Plasma/Product.asp_X_Sku_Y_HTR5860B

what's the deal with the warning about there being no Manufacturers warrenty ? That sounds sort of fishy ?

You think this is a referb and they just are not saying so ?

Last edited:
L

luiz gutierrez

Enthusiast
They are not an authorized Yamaha dealer,and it is "grey" market, and Yamaha will not honor the warranty. Protect yourself by getting an outside warranty like Mack's, if you go this route.

Luiz

ehead

ehead

Enthusiast
Yeah, this is a tough one.

It's nice buying from an actual store because you can take it back and yell at them, hee hee, if anything is wrong with it. Well, not yell, but you know what I mean.

This thing costs $46 to ship, so if you had to ship it back for any reason, there goes half of the $100 you saved, since warrenties generally don't cover shipping.

... but, if you're in my economic bracket, $100 aint no small amount of pocket change ... hmmm.

<scratches head>

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
Regarding video upconversion, I run all my video (STB, DVD & VCR) through my Yamaha RX-V750. The picture always looked good. Out of curiousity, I ran each of these three components directly to the TV, just to see. And honestly, there was no noticeable improvement in picture quality. My preference is to switch sources through the receiver rather than through the TV, but it's up to to you.

cheers,
supervij

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis