Yamaha HTR 4065 No sound

N

Nathaniel Smith

Audiophyte
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum. I would really appreciate some help figuring out how to fix my receiver. It is only about 3 years old. It powers up and all the buttons and display on the receiver work, as well as all the video signals. However it does not seem to be ending signal to any of the speaker channels which leads me to believe there is a problem specifically with the amplifier. I opened it up, though I am no electronics expert. I was able to find one fuse where the power cable comes in to the unit, and it was intact. I unplugged and replugged as many of the cables on the circuit boards as I could. I have read other people talking about bad relays or things being in a safe mode. There is no error message on the display. I can here different relays clicking when it powers up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum. I would really appreciate some help figuring out how to fix my receiver. It is only about 3 years old. It powers up and all the buttons and display on the receiver work, as well as all the video signals. However it does not seem to be ending signal to any of the speaker channels which leads me to believe there is a problem specifically with the amplifier. I opened it up, though I am no electronics expert. I was able to find one fuse where the power cable comes in to the unit, and it was intact. I unplugged and replugged as many of the cables on the circuit boards as I could. I have read other people talking about bad relays or things being in a safe mode. There is no error message on the display. I can here different relays clicking when it powers up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Can you get sound from the headphone socket? Do you hear the speaker set up tones through the speakers?

Have you done a reset to default and reset the unit up?

If you answer these questions we can shed some light on the issue.

And by the way, did you wear a grounding strap when you were grouting around inside the receiver plugging and unplugging cables? If not you can do a lot of damage.

N

Nathaniel Smith

Audiophyte
I tried the headphone Jack and there is no signal there. I reset the unit and no change occurred except that now the little red light next to the power button doesn't turn on in standby mode anymore which I realize is probably completely unrelated. I was not wearing a grounding strap, but the unit wasn't plugged in. I don't really know much about electronics. I hope I didn't damage anything. Thanks for your help

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I tried the headphone Jack and there is no signal there. I reset the unit and no change occurred except that now the little red light next to the power button doesn't turn on in standby mode anymore which I realize is probably completely unrelated. I was not wearing a grounding strap, but the unit wasn't plugged in. I don't really know much about electronics. I hope I didn't damage anything. Thanks for your help
The standby light not coming on after the reset suggests there is a power supply problem to the audio section.

Since you have no sound from the headphone jack then the problem certainly involves the preamp stage.

Whether there is a problem in the power amp section or the power to it I don't know.

Since you are not experienced in electronics, you are not going to fix this.

What was the original cost of this unit? I see you can get this unit as a refurb on Amazon for $299.

I suspect this fault is in the power supply and could be fixed. I can't be sure of that and it could be a very major problem. It will cost you significant money to find out.

This is the problem with receivers, they are complex, the cheaper half of the market has reliability problems since they are too complex for the dollars expended. The end result is that unless it is a fairly new high end unit, they are not worth fixing.

I suspect your best option is recycling, or selling for parts or repair, and getting a new unit. If you do buy a new unit pick from above the midpoint of the manufacturer's offerings, or you will likely be back in the same position.

By the way if you open the case of any unit with ICs and especially micro processors, you need to have a grounding strap on your wrist connected to a good ground. This is important whether the unit is plugged in or not. It is especially true once you start unplugging things, as boards are removed from the units ground plane. It takes very little static discharge to blow up a board.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Looks like a HDMI issue, guys. As per amazon reviews. Air flow is very important for those receivers, so I always recommend a laptop fan with air flowing out. I've never had a HDMI problem after a bought a fan. Call Yamaha repair and see if you can get a free repair. If not we can recommend something else in your price range.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Looks like HDMI issue, guys. As per amazon reviews. Call Yamaha repair and see if you can get a free repair. If not we can recommend something else in your price range.
OP: - Does the radio work? Do the analog inputs work? If yest to the above, this is not an HDMI issue. If those sources produce sound, it could well be an HDMI issue.

Unfortunately for most receivers are a necessary evil.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Well on further research those units seem to be known for a myriad of problems, especially failure to power on.

From what I have found out those units are not worth fixing. It is a bin job. The MRSP was $449, but I find they were sold new for $300. There in lies the problem. I think for a unit as complex as a receiver you need to be thinking of about $1000 plus minus a couple of a hundred dollars. I don't think you can build and sell a unit for less that will be any good.

You can see why people are skipping the receiver and going to sound bars. Manufacturers are loosing money on receivers, and sales are dropping. I think the receiver is endangered. I have been saying for some time, now that we will be entering the DIY pre/pro scene as the only option.

I personally think selling junk at low prices is counterproductive. The best option to build quality products and price to make a profit inevitably selling to a more restricted market. They also need to be priced so they can be made on a modular chassis so they can be upgraded. Otherwise this will end in misery for all.

N

Nathaniel Smith

Audiophyte
There is no sound whether I am using an hdmi or an analog input or the tuner. I'm thinking I have a pre amp and maybe power and problem. I would love some advice in how to proceed with checking into those power supply issues. The receiver was given to me in its current condition, so I don't mind spending time to learn how to tinker on it, even if it means I ruin it because it was free.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

There is no sound whether I am using an hdmi or an analog input or the tuner. I'm thinking I have a pre amp and maybe power and problem. I would love some advice in how to proceed with checking into those power supply issues. The receiver was given to me in its current condition, so I don't mind spending time to learn how to tinker on it, even if it means I ruin it because it was free.
You really can't service these units. They do not even issue circuits let alone service manuals. In fact they say messing with these circuits without permission is an infringement of copyright. I hate to have to admit it, but John Deere started this nonsense. This is the basis of trying to get right to repair legislation passed. I can tell you it is an uphill battle.

Next issue is that you need a battery of test equipment like this.

The most important issue is that you have to test units live, which is dangerous unless you are experienced with some training, and therefore we do not tender advice under these circumstances.

N

Nathaniel Smith

Audiophyte
Thanks everyone for all the input. You guys are so generous to help out. I'm off to craigslist now to find a receiver.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Don't forget the forum classifieds here on Audioholics, maybe avsforum, too.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis