Yamaha HTR-2064 turned itself off, won't power back up

King Mustard

King Mustard

Enthusiast
We've checked the fuse inside the plug and the fuse inside the AV receiver itself.

Also, none of the capacitors appears to be damaged.

Any other ideas?

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
We've checked the fuse inside the plug and the fuse inside the AV receiver itself.

Any other ideas?
Protection of some kind but usually they turn back on.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

Any other ideas?
When this happens it means something is taking too much current. A common problem is a short in the speaker wires.

So disconnect the speaker wires from the back of the receiver. Now see if the unit will power on.

Now try a reset to factory default. If it won't power up enough to return to factory default, then the unit has a serious problem. This could be a power supply problem like a failed regulator. The commonest problem though is a shorted power transistor.

That is an older receiver and does not warrant the cost of repair.

King Mustard

King Mustard

Enthusiast
When this happens it means something is taking too much current. A common problem is a short in the speaker wires.

So disconnect the speaker wires from the back of the receiver. Now see if the unit will power on.

Now try a reset to factory default. If it won't power up enough to return to factory default, then the unit has a serious problem. This could be a power supply problem like a failed regulator. The commonest problem though is a shorted power transistor.

That is an older receiver and does not warrant the cost of repair.
We've disconnected the speaker wires, still no power.

We can't perform a reset due to the loss of power.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

We've disconnected the speaker wires, still no power.

We can't perform a reset due to the loss of power.
Then that is the end of the line for it. It needs a one way trip to the recycling center.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

His receiver is not an RXV series but and HTR series.

I'm reluctant to advise the inexperienced to work with high voltage circuits.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

You can get a service manual here. Use the vintage Hi-Fi link.

There is no thermal fuse on that unit. So the video clip will not help you. There are instructions for defeating the protection, so you can get out some diagnostic codes.

However, if you have never done any service work, it will be a stretch that you could successfully repair that unit and of highly questionable safety.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
You can get a service manual here. Use the vintage Hi-Fi link.

There is no thermal fuse on that unit. So the video clip will not help you. There are instructions for defeating the protection, so you can get out some diagnostic codes.

However, if you have never done any service work, it will be a stretch that you could successfully repair that unit and of highly questionable safety.
Yes.. There is a thermal fuse built into the power transformer, a mandatory UL/CSA requirement. If open the power transformer is toast & blown..
Just my $0.02... ;)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Yes.. There is a thermal fuse built into the power transformer, a mandatory UL/CSA requirement. If open the power transformer is toast & blown..
Just my $0.02... ;)
Its not shown in the circuit, but I suppose it might be in the PT and not shown.

I don't know that is a requirement. I no for certain none of my Quad power amps have thermal fuses in the power transformers.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Its not shown in the circuit, but I suppose it might be in the PT and not shown.

I don't know that is a requirement. I no for certain none of my Quad power amps have thermal fuses in the power transformers.
Not shown on circuit schematic as it is not user replaceable. Since we have submitted multiple audio products (consumer & pro) for UL/CSA certification we know this is a mandatory requirement, as along with the unit for certification we have to supply (5) pcs of the power transformer.

Can't really comment on Quad amplifiers but to my knowledge this also required for CE approvals as well, but if the amplifier is older it may predate this requirement..

Just my $0.02... ;)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Not shown on circuit schematic as it is not user replaceable. Since we have submitted multiple audio products (consumer & pro) for UL/CSA certification we know this is a mandatory requirement, as along with the unit for certification we have to supply (5) pcs of the power transformer.

Can't really comment on Quad amplifiers but to my knowledge this also required for CE approvals as well, but if the amplifier is older it may predate this requirement..

Just my $0.02... ;)
So we have another useless regulation that will be a major and expensive source of trouble.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
So we have another useless regulation that will be a major and expensive source of trouble.
Hmm..
Don't know if I agree the regulation is useless..
When one considers How many AVRs are installed in cramped wall units without adequate ventilation..
Even though the requirement of having 4-5" of free-air clearance for the L/R sides and top cover are disregarded by many... Even with this disclosure being made in the front page of the operation manual..
But then again How many users read the manual before install/setup?? :(

Just my $0.02.. ;)

King Mustard

King Mustard

Enthusiast
Whilst selling it on eBay (as broken), someone messaged me and suggested I reset the main microprocessor by pressing and holding the Tone Control and Straight buttons whilst pressing the power button.

It actually slightly came to life! It made a 'buzz' sound, then click sound, and both only last for half a second in total before silence again. The display doesn't come on during this time.

I've let them know this and I'll await a response :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis