Yamaha HS8 Studio Subwoofer?

P

Peterwinkle

Enthusiast
There is a current deal on a Yamaha HS8 subwoofer for $359.99 shipped (not sure I can mention the website). It retails at $699.99, but I cant find any decent reviews on it. It's only an 8" which I'm not so sure I like, but they spec the frequency range down to 22Hz (-10dB). Does anyone know anything about this sub? Is it worth it at this price or am I better off going with something else like the Dayton sub-1500 15"?

I need to get a sub to finish off my set up, but have a pretty small budget right now. I'm going to get something fairly cheap right now and then upgrade later on.

P

Peterwinkle

Enthusiast
Stay away. This 12 inch goes down to 20 according to review master Jman: http://www.amazon.com/NXG-Technology-NX-BAS-500-500-watt-Subwoofer/dp/B008FSTU4G
and you can always ADD A SECOND ONE LATER. How big is your room?
Thanks for the input, I was kind of skeptical about this Yamaha. I'm going to start researching that NXG sub, thanks for the suggestion. The room is 12x20, but I'm not too concerned with real heavy bass. We typically watch movies at night when the baby is sleeping, and my wife is sure to complain. Unless I'm alone the bass will pretty much have to be at a moderate level.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
P

Peterwinkle

Enthusiast
Your room size does not need the 1500(It's BIG) The NXG(Has more amp power than the Dayton 1200 and goes lower) or Dayton 1200(I own one and really like it for my music setup) will suffice. If I had a $300 budget I'd get the NXG, but the Dayton does a good job though. You can't go wrong with either one in your space. Hope this helps. Jman also reviewed the 1200: http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-audio-subwoofers/71767-dayton-audio-sub-1200-subwoofer-discussion-thread.html
Thanks for your help! I'm thinking I'm going to get that NXG.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
You're welcome. Enjoy the new BASS experience. :cool:

P

Peterwinkle

Enthusiast
A quick update to this post... I ordered the NXG and for the money it's really a pretty impressive sub. I hooked it up last night and tested it out on some music, and moved it around the room to find various locations. It seems pointed into the corner with 180Deg out of phase is about the best so far, with a lower crossover than usual at around 70 (there is just a dial with tick marks). It produces much more bass than I expected, I had to turn the gain down quite a bit to match the other speakers. It has hit every low note I've thrown at it so far with ease. Requiem Dies Irae is one of my go to songs for testing (I have a really high quality recording of it). It has a nice range of dynamics, with some pretty low frequencies when the bass drum and timpanies come in. I need to test it on a good movie, but so far I'm pretty impressed considering how much I spent.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis