Yamaha HD-5860 Voltage 110-240 Changing?

Surge

Surge

Audiophyte
Hi,
Bit stuck on what I should do, I recently bought a Yamaha HD-5860 (thanks to the positive feedback everyone seemed to give it) From America, (I live in Australia) and the voltage is 110, in Australia it's 240 I was wondering if anyone had any idea's as what voltage changer I should buy, and any guidelines I should follow, Help Greatly appreciated.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Surge said:
Hi,
Bit stuck on what I should do, I recently bought a Yamaha HD-5860 (thanks to the positive feedback everyone seemed to give it) From America, (I live in Australia) and the voltage is 110, in Australia it's 240 I was wondering if anyone had any idea's as what voltage changer I should buy, and any guidelines I should follow, Help Greatly appreciated.

Perhaps if it was known that you needed a 240V unit, another of equal could have been recommended:eek:

You need a step down transformer with sufficient current capability for that component and some for peaks. You need to check the current needs at 120V and may want to double that for the secondary requirements of that transformer. Not sure what frequency you have there either. It may not be an issue.

T

t3031999

Audioholic
The yamaha RX-v657 is similar to your 5860. And you can get it in a 240 volt model. There are a lot of receivers that come in 240 volt configuration, so it would be best to return yours and get one made for your country.

otherwise there is this. That one will handle all your needs including the current and wattage requirments.

Surge

Surge

Audiophyte
Price

I would of originally bought one over here, but over here that model hasn't even come out yet and stays around the 1200AU price range, in america i got it for $306US so the difference was actually large enough to buy one without and then buy a transformer, I had a look around and I knew that I had to get a transformer I was more concerned about the level of wattage I should need. Thanks

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
Hi Surge,

you've made a great deal indeed!
There's no big issue on that; all you have to do is to check at the back of receiver (or at spec sheet in manual), and see the power consumption, in AMPS. Then multiply the total amps x wattage (in this case, 120V).

Let's assume that your receiver has a power consumption of 5A:
5A x 120V = 600VA.
Put a 20% "safety gap" on the transformer and you'll be ready to go (in this case you'll nedd a 720VA transformer - it could also be either 700 or 800VA).

Bear in mind that if you'll plug other gears on same transformer, you'll then have to add up their appropriate consumption, as explained above.

Good luck & enjoy the sound!

Cheers / Avliner

R

rschleicher

Audioholic
I seem to think that Yamaha sells "world" models in other countries, that accept both 110 and 220V, and work with either 50 or 60 Hz. But the model sold in the US is 110-only. If I am remembering right, this is described at least somewhat in the owner's manual.) But what I don't know is if it is possible to get a "world" model in the US, via some kind of special order.

In the end you might be better off getting a converter/transformer.

T

t3031999

Audioholic
the link I posted to parts-express will work for the 5860. Both for voltage conversion and correct wattage.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis