Yamaha DSP-AX1(european version)---$950 Canadian, worth it?

M

Mooch

Audiophyte
Hey guys,

Ive been looking at three recievers lately, the.....

- Onkyo TX-DS575X (around $589 Can)
- Yamaha RXV1500 (Around $608 Can)
- Harman Kardon AVR335 (around $525 Can)

Now today i went to my local high end audio shop, and he told me he had a flag ship Yamaha DSP-AX1 integrated HT amp that was being sold by a good customer of his. It weighs in about 62 pounds, and is an absoltete beast. Now the integrated amp is 5 years, and it retailed for about 6000-7000 dollars when new. Infact, it was a flagship model, as most of you here probably know anyways.

Now the model he has, is not the NA version, but a European version. Could someone explain the difference to me?

Anyways, he said i could have it for $950 Can, taxes in. Is that a good deal? Basically im replacing a blown (due to lighting strike) Onkyo 575X, which also happened to be 5 years old, and basically it's costing me nothing as the insurance is giving me replacement cost plus tax.

Now depite it's age, im sure it's better then most of the amps listed above including my older Onkyo. Add to that the fact that i'll never be running any components through my reciever, and will most like stick to 5.1 for some time rather then 6.1, 7.1, etc, im pretty much upgrading by a big margin. The speakers i'll be using are more then decent. They are the Klipsch Reference series, and should work great with this amp. Any one beg to differ?

Finally, is their anything i should be aware of with this amp?

Here is a link for the amp im talking about..

http://www.audioenz.co.nz/2000/1004.html

By the way, this is my first high end unit, and although ive just brought it home to demo, im so freakin excited!! :p

Thanks guys!!

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
You should be very careful of the voltage. We in NA use 120v while in Europe it is I believe 240. There are current converters and whatnot, but I'd never feel 100% safe unless the unit was converted to work on 120 or 110v. Also it is 5 years old. For $950 look at either Nad or a yamaha 2500. I doubt you could get a denon 3805 for that price but the new models are coming out. The price is too high for the Onkyo. Actually not bad on the price for the HK up here in Canada. That Yamaha amp is probably a mammoth, a beast, a tank, and whatnot, but it is out of date. I'd wager dollars to donuts that unless you have very innefficient speakers you'd never notice the power difference between the Import and a 2500, or most likelt even a 1500. Ilooked up the manual for that dsp-ax1. It claims 110w @ .015% THD. Pretty decent number. The 2500 claims 130w at .04% THD also very respectable. I'd say go new technology. That price you're being quoted on the 1500 is great up here north of the border, but if you can swing a 2500 for under a grand I'd say go for it.

G

georgep

Audioholic Intern
Hi Mooch,

Where are you getting that pricing on the 1500 in Canada? Much apreciated.

George

M

Mooch

Audiophyte
georgep said:
Hi Mooch,

Where are you getting that pricing on the 1500 in Canada? Much apreciated.

George
It's online, plus shipping and taxes, not in Canada.

Last edited:
M

Mooch

Audiophyte
Takeereasy said:
You should be very careful of the voltage. We in NA use 120v while in Europe it is I believe 240. There are current converters and whatnot, but I'd never feel 100% safe unless the unit was converted to work on 120 or 110v. Also it is 5 years old. For $950 look at either Nad or a yamaha 2500. I doubt you could get a denon 3805 for that price but the new models are coming out. The price is too high for the Onkyo. Actually not bad on the price for the HK up here in Canada. That Yamaha amp is probably a mammoth, a beast, a tank, and whatnot, but it is out of date. I'd wager dollars to donuts that unless you have very innefficient speakers you'd never notice the power difference between the Import and a 2500, or most likelt even a 1500. Ilooked up the manual for that dsp-ax1. It claims 110w @ .015% THD. Pretty decent number. The 2500 claims 130w at .04% THD also very respectable. I'd say go new technology. That price you're being quoted on the 1500 is great up here north of the border, but if you can swing a 2500 for under a grand I'd say go for it.

1. The amp has a selectable 120 or 220 voltage switch on the back, as well as a switchable 4 ohm or 8 ohm.

2. NAD, imo lacks in Home Theatre, as their speciality has always been music, and never really HT. The Yamaha 2500 is a great unit, but it lacks in power compared to the integrated Yamaha DSP-AX1. I have heard both on my current set-up at home and found the amplificatoin of the DSP to be better.

Now as for it being old, it is 5 years old, but it has 5.1, 6.1, DD ES, DTS EX just to name a few. It lacks the microphone for proper calibration, but im sure an spl meter would do the exact same thing. Infact, it has seperate EQ futures for the centre and rears so tonal matching can be done with the mains, again something a lot of newer recievers lack.

The thing is, i'll never go past 5.1 channels. Plus, what else has really changed in terms of technology over the years? More inputs like HDMI, Component, etc. Yes, but again, i'll never be running it through my reciever anytime soon anyways.

Basically, i'll be using it heavily for HT and here and there for Music. With all that in mind, i don't see why the DSP-AX1 would be a bad choice for my needs at this point in time. The other thing is, let's say i decide to upgrade in the future. I could always get a top-notch pre-amp, and hook it up to the DSPAX1, as it has 10 channels and use the Yamaha amplifier.

The unit is solidly built, and sounds excellent. It has the punch many recievers lack due to weaker (not bad) amplification. It also has an excellent DAC imo for DD, and DTS. Music isn't as good on it, but i rarely use it for music anyways.

Maybe im missing something here, if so, please do tell me.... :)

M

Moli

Audioholic Intern
I have this unit and love it. I bought it new in HK about 5yrs ago for $3K AUS and it has had a work out. This amp now controls my HT (see it in Members Sys) and the sound is great.
It does not have DVI or HDMI but has every other conceivable input so l wouldnt worry about that.

MOLI

M

Mooch

Audiophyte
Hey Molli, thanks for the reply.

I have a question for you though. I brought the unit home a few days ago to demo, but was unable to get the left channel to work. Now after some playing around with it, i accidently hit the pre-amp inputs on the back with my finger, and oddly enough, the sound came outa the left channel.

No ive heard some people have had problems with corrosion with the pre-amp inputs, which from my understanding turn off the main amp inside the unit.

Have you had this problem before?

The previous owner of the amp came over yesterday as well, and took it to Yamaha and said he would get it fixed for me for free as it was working perfectly before he was going to sell it, but id like to know if you have any idea on whats going on?

Thanks again!!

M

Moli

Audioholic Intern
I had a similar problem with no sound from the Left Rear. Sometimes it would work but mainly it failed. Stressed me out.
The problem was easily fixed and if l remember cost about $7.00 AUS. I think the fault was as you described above or was the preouts.

Since that problem almost 5 years ago all has been weel.
Moli

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis