Yamaha Aventage vs '73 series

S

stealth_turtle

Audiophyte
So I am currently looking to replace my AVR.

I'm weighing up the value in jumping from the Yamaha 73 series to the Aventage series.
I'm looking at the 2073 or the 2020, and unfortunately aren't in a position where I can audition them for quite a while.
Those of you with experience, is the couple of hundred $$ worth it?

I'm looking mainly for musical performance, but will be adding extra channels for the odd movie and game.

I'm driving some floorstanding DALIs, and can't see either of the receivers having trouble playing nicely with them.

Any advice would be welcome.

Votrax

Votrax

Audioholic
You won't get any more power out of the Aventage line compared to a 2073.

S

stealth_turtle

Audiophyte
You won't get any more power out of the Aventage line compared to a 2073.
Yeah, I understand that, but it's not just about the power.
Are the sonics truly any better in the Aventage? Some people claim that the componentry is actually exactly the same, in which case, the slight modifications to the housing and chassis are likely to make a huge difference. However if the sonics are different out of the Aventage, is the jump in price easily justified?

Votrax

Votrax

Audioholic
Yeah, I understand that, but it's not just about the power.
Are the sonics truly any better in the Aventage? Some people claim that the componentry is actually exactly the same, in which case, the slight modifications to the housing and chassis are likely to make a huge difference. However if the sonics are different out of the Aventage, is the jump in price easily justified?
I replaced a RX-V667 with a RX-A2000 and there was no sonic difference. The extra money is probably for the 5th foot! I'm sure the components are the same if not very similar between the Aventage and a 2073.

S

stealth_turtle

Audiophyte
I replaced a RX-V667 with a RX-A2000 and there was no sonic difference. The extra money is probably for the 5th foot! I'm sure the components are the same if not very similar between the Aventage and a 2073.
Great, thanks for your reply. It looks like I'm leaning more towards the v series, rather than the Aventage.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Great, thanks for your reply. It looks like I'm leaning more towards the v series, rather than the Aventage.
Check the feature list between the two. It maybe that YPAO on the Adventage series is more sophisticated then the 2073 model.

P

philh

Full Audioholic
I compared the 2020 to Pioneer SC-63 and bought the SC-65 (demo unit wasn't hooked up)

I thought the 2020 had a slightly warmer sound, but the SC-63 had much better separation. So far, I'm enjoying the 65, but I was coming from a 12 yo Sony :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis