Yamaha Aventage RX-A2060 or Marantz NR1607 w/seperate amps

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You guys are probably going to get sick of me...

Update: I sent the Marantz back a week ago. It locked up on me, so I could not justify keeping it.

Since then I have been running with my 15 year old Yamaha HTR-5660. It does a decent job, but lesser quality as I am using my iphone as a music source. I began looking at Emotiva amps and nearly bought one but passed. The current crop of Basx seem to have better specs than the old UPA/XPA-200 I was considering.

Fast forward to today, Fry's has the Yamaha RX-A770 on sale for $379. I snagged it without realizing it lacks pre-outs. Anyways, this thing meets my needs for now. In a year I can sell it and break even when I eventually jump to separates, etc.

Hope I did good :)
Sometimes thats what happens when you buy something on impulse, you forget to check all the features out...if preouts are important I'd return it like Pogre said. I'm somewhat surprised as I thought all the Aventage line had pre-outs traditionally.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Click

Denon authorized dealer and Denon factory refurbished. I've bought 2 or 3 receivers from them and have had a great experience with both. That one comes with a 1 year manufacturer warranty. It's a pretty sweet receiver. I'd take that yammy back and get the 3300 for sure.
I have to agree with Porge here. I have become very disappointed with Yamaha recently. Denon seems to have passed them in build quality and in amp section in particular. I'd go with the Denon.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I have to agree with Porge here. I have become very disappointed with Yamaha recently. Denon seems to have passed them in build quality and in amp section in particular. I'd go with the Denon.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
My reason for suggesting was more along the lines of needed/wanted features. The 3300 is a pretty sweet avr. Even sweeter at $549 with a 1 year warranty. ;)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
My reason for suggesting was more along the lines of needed/wanted features. The 3300 is a pretty sweet avr. Even sweeter at $549 with a 1 year warranty. ;)
For people who believe the DAC chip could make a difference, the AVR-X3400H appears to have been upgraded with the AKM DAC, I assume it is the same one found in the AVR-X4200W, X4300H, and X6300H.

U

unrealii

Enthusiast
I'm really digging the Denon X3400H feature set, especially with Alexa integration.

A lot of my music is digital, so the DAC chip would be important right?

I haven't opened the Yamaha A770 yet. Honestly, it meets my immediate needs, has powered Zone 2 for when I move into a new place in a month or two. I am deciding whether to use it for the time being then buy the Denon when it goes on sale or return it back now. At $380 and a 2017 model, I should have no problem getting that much if I sell it within the next year. I am having the itch to buy amps too, so if I have the Yamaha that will hopefully keep me looking away from opening my wallet for now. ;)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm really digging the Denon X3400H feature set, especially with Alexa integration.

A lot of my music is digital, so the DAC chip would be important right?

I haven't opened the Yamaha A770 yet. Honestly, it meets my immediate needs, has powered Zone 2 for when I move into a new place in a month or two. I am deciding whether to use it for the time being then buy the Denon when it goes on sale or return it back now. At $380 and a 2017 model, I should have no problem getting that much if I sell it within the next year. I am having the itch to buy amps too, so if I have the Yamaha that will hopefully keep me looking away from opening my wallet for now. ;)
I believe the DAC chip is important mainly because if it uses the same chip, the whole circuit implementation will likely be the same as those in the SR7011, and AVR-X6300H. It would cost Denon more to do it differently, so it is not just the chip itself. A lot of people believe the DAC chip itself does not matter because the specs and performance of most chips exceed pretty much everything else in the audio chain, including human hearing so it boils down mainly to features and the feel good/Placebo factors. My concerns with AVRs and other equipment that uses DAC of lower specs is that if their makers are so keen to save literally a dollar of 2 on DACs, what other corners would they have cut?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I believe the DAC chip is important mainly because if it uses the same chip, the whole circuit implementation will likely be the same as those in the SR7011, and AVR-X6300H. It would cost Denon more to do it differently, so it is not just the chip itself. A lot of people believe the DAC chip itself does not matter because the specs and performance of most chips exceed pretty much everything else in the audio chain, including human hearing so it boils down mainly to features and the feel good/Placebo factors. My concerns with AVRs and other equipment that uses DAC of lower specs is that if their makers are so keen to save literally a dollar of 2 on DACs, what other corners would they have cut?
Thanks for pointing out your rationale for this. I have often wondered why you have been so interested in which DAC is in which AVR. You make a very good point.

However, right now the x3400H is new and the X3300W is old so the premium is pretty steep for the 3400. In several months after refurbs get in the pipeline, the 3400 won't command such a high price.

Right now you can get a new X3300W for $600:
https://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-X3300W-Channel-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B01HL8KYAY/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1501180786&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=denon+avr-x3300w&psc=1&smid=A2H3DYB5PUVNNI

While a X3400H runs $1000:
https://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVRX3400H-Channel-Network-Receiver/dp/B072Z9ZGSZ/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1501180415&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=denon+avr-x3400h

$400 seems pricey for a DAC if you can't wait for the 3400 to drop in price.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Might call Denon/Sound United to see if they just haven't updated their page....they do have a new owner in Sound United lately. Seems pretty steep discount so early, tho.

U

unrealii

Enthusiast
I bought it and sent them a message asking about being authorized.

Let's see how this goes :D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for pointing out your rationale for this. I have often wondered why you have been so interested in which DAC is in which AVR. You make a very good point.

However, right now the x3400H is new and the X3300W is old so the premium is pretty steep for the 3400. In several months after refurbs get in the pipeline, the 3400 won't command such a high price.

Right now you can get a new X3300W for $600:
https://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-X3300W-Channel-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B01HL8KYAY/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1501180786&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=denon+avr-x3300w&psc=1&smid=A2H3DYB5PUVNNI

While a X3400H runs $1000:
https://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVRX3400H-Channel-Network-Receiver/dp/B072Z9ZGSZ/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1501180415&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=denon+avr-x3400h

$400 seems pricey for a DAC if you can't wait for the 3400 to drop in price.
I wouldn't buy it at the current price either. $799 would be the point where I can recommend it, that means boxing day sales or AC4L, a year from now.:D

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't know if I would have bit on that one, but there is a sales history with the seller. Not a horrible rating, but 2% bad feedback is enough to raise an eyebrow.

U

unrealii

Enthusiast
Yeah, I saw all of that. Since they are high volume, I trust them more than if it were a guy with less than 100 feedback. I figured its worth a shot. A4L gives a year warranty anyways for refurb. I dont think a new unit will fail.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah, I saw all of that. Since they are high volume, I trust them more than if it were a guy with less than 100 feedback. I figured its worth a shot. A4L gives a year warranty anyways for refurb. I dont think a new unit will fail.
Yeah, if they aren't authorized. I'd say that as long as they are new inventory (and they probably are), the odds are in your favor.
The key thing is that you can afford to take the hit if it does happen to fail without it screwing your budget. Basically you are buying a warranty from yourself for the amount you saved.
They say they are authorized and they have a 30 day return period (with a policy allowing them to charge a 20% restocking fee without clear explanation of when they would).
The reason for skepticism is high volume re-sellers like Crutchfield and BestBuy usually have some sort of agreement to limit discounts so they are not undercut.

U

unrealii

Enthusiast
Thanks for the input. Since the receiver is just released, I can't think of a reason for it not to be new. The usual suspects: Best Buy and Fry's dont even carry it yet.

Anyways, I snagged a parasound HCA-1500A (205w x2 @ 8 ohms) for $400. I pick it up later in the week. I should be set now. This hobby is dangerous :eek:

U

unrealii

Enthusiast
1 year update - tons of changes since the original post. Ran the polk lsim 705 706 and 702fx as the main system. The 703 bookshelves went into the bedroom for nighttime listening.

+ Bought a Denon X4300H (these were clearanced out in Aug '17 at $800) which was a steal
- Sold the Denon X3400H, took a $100 loss on it
- Sold the Energy Take 5.1 system (never used it after upgrading to the polks)
+ SVS SB12-NSD (Even with the parasound powering the lsim towers, the bass was lacking in movies)
+ Polk audio RTI A3 (these were on sale for cheap so I snagged them. They sat for a few months, eventually replacing the polk 702fx)
+ B&W 685 s2 for bedroom listening (snagged for $350 from a coworker, replacing the 703)
+ Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2 for LCR (b-stock spring special, replacing the 705 706c)
- Sold off all polk lsim speakers (705 706c 702fx 703)
+ SVS SB12-NSD (2nd one, memorial day outlet sale :) )

Current config:
Main: Denon X4300H, Parasound HCA-1500a, Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2 LCR, Polk Audio RTI A3 as LR surrounds, SVS SB12 x2
Room: B&W 685 S2

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Wow you trade around quite a bit! What are your thoughts on the Ascends? Are they keepers, or the next trade? :)

U

unrealii

Enthusiast
Wow you trade around quite a bit! What are your thoughts on the Ascends? Are they keepers, or the next trade? :)
Part of it OCD driven for perfection and the other half is knowing that I want to move to a smaller place within a year. Keeping 90 lb lsim towers and the boxes were not in the cards when I decided to switch. I had originally decided on the KEF LS50 bookshelves given the great reviews then stumbled upon Ascend Sierra 2's given the strong comparisons between the two.

I like the Ascends and would recommend anyone looking for a solid speaker to check them out. I like the fact that Ascend tests and measures every speaker before it goes out the door. The bamboo cabinets are gorgeous. Most importantly, I hear parts of music I felt the lsims were masking. The Ascend Sierra 2's can be loud and accurate without being harsh which is a big win in my book. I feel I hear the exact moments the musical instrument stops playing or when the singer changes tone. It was a wierd feeling at first because the sound seemed flat, but it was really the agile tweeter not muffling/adding extra to the sound.

I am still playing with the placement as when I A/B'ed them against my old speakers, the Ascends were sitting on my coffee table and sounded beyond amazing. Now in their homes where the towers used to be near the wall, I am still tweaking placement due to the rear port.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Part of it OCD driven for perfection and the other half is knowing that I want to move to a smaller place within a year. Keeping 90 lb lsim towers and the boxes were not in the cards when I decided to switch. I had originally decided on the KEF LS50 bookshelves given the great reviews then stumbled upon Ascend Sierra 2's given the strong comparisons between the two.

I like the Ascends and would recommend anyone looking for a solid speaker to check them out. I like the fact that Ascend tests and measures every speaker before it goes out the door. The bamboo cabinets are gorgeous. Most importantly, I hear parts of music I felt the lsims were masking. The Ascend Sierra 2's can be loud and accurate without being harsh which is a big win in my book. I feel I hear the exact moments the musical instrument stops playing or when the singer changes tone. It was a wierd feeling at first because the sound seemed flat, but it was really the agile tweeter not muffling/adding extra to the sound.

I am still playing with the placement as when I A/B'ed them against my old speakers, the Ascends were sitting on my coffee table and sounded beyond amazing. Now in their homes where the towers used to be near the wall, I am still tweaking placement due to the rear port.
With the Sierra 2 center do you get good sound? I have researched a few centers and that one intrigued me. I know Philharmonic can do that as well with a RAAL 90 degrees. Also curious how the RAAL keeps up in home theater. I know it is perfect for music.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis