Yamaha Aventage RX-A2060 or Marantz NR1607 w/seperate amps

U

unrealii

Enthusiast
I know this is a weird comparison, but long story short, I am deciding between these two receivers both of which are in my possession. The return period on the Marantz is in 6 days so I need to decide soon. Marantz is setup with the polk towers. Yamaha is still new in box.

1) The Marantz NR1607 has everything I need for now. It has the latest codecs and I dont see it being obsolete anytime soon. I bought it on amazon for $450. I figured I would throw down another $200 for used amps if I needed more power

2) During my speaker purchase (2 weeks after I already bought the NR1607), I acquired a Yamaha RX-A2060 for an extra $700. This thing looks like a beast. I was planning to sell it for $1000 to make up some of the money I spent on the speakers. Recently I have been reconsidering and might keep the A2060 for myself and return the NR1607. The Marantz had some freezing issues which ruined the moment, but a full reset seemed to have resolved it.

Details: Average sized apartment. 90% music use.
Main: Polk Audio LSiM 705 towers | Center Polk Audio LsiM 706 | Surrounds: Polk Audio LSiM 702fx
Zone 2 - bedroom: Polk Audio LsiM 702 bookshelf
Unused speakers: Energy Take 5.1 version 1 (not the classic system). If I ever decided to do Atmos/DTX:X height with the A2060, I would use these speakers.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
If it was my decision I'd keep the Yamaha. The Marantz would probably be sufficient at lower volume but those speakers would need an external amp when approaching moderate volume. Also I think 1k for sale price seems unrealistic FWIW.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
In a small room that Marantz can get by but the Yamaha is definitely more suited for those speakers.

U

unrealii

Enthusiast
I appreciate the feedback!

Would the Marantz with a 2 channel amp be a better solution than the Yamaha? I was starting the think the 1K selling was optimistic but I just received an email from a local buyer offering 1K.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord

Would the Marantz with a 2 channel amp be a better solution than the Yamaha? I was starting the think the 1K selling was optimistic but I just received an email from a local buyer offering 1K.
Unless one has features that you want, I think you'd be fine with either of those options!
You will probably get opinions both ways, but I'd be surprised to find out a significant reason to go one way or the other.
If you find a good deal on a nice 2 channel amp, that is the best option, but that is a matter of finding the right deal!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

In practical sense, likely no big difference. On paper and for future proofing the 2060 is a better choice.

Last edited:
U

unrealii

Enthusiast
I sold the yammy for my expected price, so that option is off the table. I felt very iffy having a $1K single piece of equipment that I cannot fully utilize for a while. Seeing how they skimped on the pre-outs for the RX-A860 makes me think they held back on stuff for the higher end models.

I reevaluated what I truly need and I don't need any of the 4K stuff for now. My desire was for elegant HDMI switching since my Sony Tv does such a terrible job at it. The TV still has a year or so left before I replace it.

Few options:
1) Keep Marantz NR1607. Buy amps. I can get two Marantz MA-500 (125w x1 @ 8ohms) for $80 each. In the future, the NR goes into a bedroom and I buy a bigger avr.
2) Return Marantz NR1607 and jump back to my old receiver (Yamaha HTR-5660, 85w x 6) and buy a bluetooth adapter/roku, etc with s/pdif output to stream music.
3) Option 2 & look for a different receiver with more power at $500 (example: Denon X3300W on sale)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I sold the yammy for my expected price, so that option is off the table. I felt very iffy having a $1K single piece of equipment that I cannot fully utilize for a while. Seeing how they skimped on the pre-outs for the RX-A860 makes me think they held back on stuff for the higher end models.

I reevaluated what I truly need and I don't need any of the 4K stuff for now. My desire was for elegant HDMI switching since my Sony Tv does such a terrible job at it. The TV still has a year or so left before I replace it.

Few options:
1) Keep Marantz NR1607. Buy amps. I can get two Marantz MA-500 (125w x1 @ 8ohms) for $80 each. In the future, the NR goes into a bedroom and I buy a bigger avr.
2) Return Marantz NR1607 and jump back to my old receiver (Yamaha HTR-5660, 85w x 6) and buy a bluetooth adapter/roku, etc with s/pdif output to stream music.
3) Option 2 & look for a different receiver with more power at $500 (example: Denon X3300W on sale)
Keep in mind it takes a doubling of power to gain 3 dB spl. Going to 85w from 50w for example (if ratings are equivalent) is 2.3 dB, but to 125w would be slightly more significant at 4 dB. Try the 50w and see if it works well enough as is.

What speakers are you using it with? If they're sensitive enough you likely won't need more amp...

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I know Polk Audio rate them 8 ohms nominal, but I would consider them, the towers anyway, 4 ohms regardless.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah
Polk LSIm
LOL see that now, the 705s....Polk under "tech specs" doesn't even list impedance or sensitivity...Cnet has it at 88dB. Depends on the volume level I suppose, may want that additional amp to cover both bases....but I'd still try first.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Keep in mind it takes a doubling of power to gain 3 dB spl. Going to 85w from 50w for example (if ratings are equivalent) is 2.3 dB, but to 125w would be slightly more significant at 4 dB. Try the 50w and see if it works well enough as is.

What speakers are you using it with? If they're sensitive enough you likely won't need more amp...
Yeah

LOL see that now, the 705s....Polk under "tech specs" doesn't even list impedance or sensitivity...Cnet has it at 88dB. Depends on the volume level I suppose, may want that additional amp to cover both bases....but I'd still try first.
SnV has the tower nominal 5 ohm nominal minimum 2.8 ohm. It's a tuff load. The center 5 ohm nominal and 3.5 minimum.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
SnV has the tower nominal 5 ohm nominal minimum 2.8 ohm. It's a tuff load. The center 5 ohm nominal and 3.5 minimum.
Yes but still depends on spl use but he may easily end up adding amps, and the two MA500 amp deal sounds pretty good....

U

unrealii

Enthusiast
Thanks for the input. I hope I did okay purchasing the polk lsim system. Cost me $2200 for all 7 speakers after I sold the Yamaha Receiver :D I know I could have done better for a set of towers on the used market but I wanted a fully matched system. My ears also disprove of aluminum tweeters.

You guys found the specs. Sorry for not posting them sooner: https://d3vqw2nv1topde.cloudfront.net/assets/Product Documents/Product Information Sheets/LSiMSeries InfoSheet.pdf
2.83V Sensitivity: 88db

I figured adding amps would go better than buying an AVR with 100-125w 2 channel rating. That way during movies the Marantz can split the power to the center and 2 surrounds. I wish it had a pre-out for the center, then I could have the option to amp that as well.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for the input. I hope I did okay purchasing the polk lsim system. Cost me $2200 for all 7 speakers after I sold the Yamaha Receiver :D I know I could have done better for a set of towers on the used market but I wanted a fully matched system. My ears also disprove of aluminum tweeters.

You guys found the specs. Sorry for not posting them sooner: https://d3vqw2nv1topde.cloudfront.net/assets/Product Documents/Product Information Sheets/LSiMSeries InfoSheet.pdf
2.83V Sensitivity: 88db

I figured adding amps would go better than buying an AVR with 100-125w 2 channel rating. That way during movies the Marantz can split the power to the center and 2 surrounds. I wish it had a pre-out for the center, then I could have the option to amp that as well.
Something like my Denon 4520 would do well enough I think. The other avr had a full set of pre-outs... :) Maybe play with an spl calculator to get an idea of power for your listening levels at your seating distance....

U

unrealii

Enthusiast
You guys are probably going to get sick of me...

Update: I sent the Marantz back a week ago. It locked up on me, so I could not justify keeping it.

Since then I have been running with my 15 year old Yamaha HTR-5660. It does a decent job, but lesser quality as I am using my iphone as a music source. I began looking at Emotiva amps and nearly bought one but passed. The current crop of Basx seem to have better specs than the old UPA/XPA-200 I was considering.

Fast forward to today, Fry's has the Yamaha RX-A770 on sale for $379. I snagged it without realizing it lacks pre-outs. Anyways, this thing meets my needs for now. In a year I can sell it and break even when I eventually jump to separates, etc.

Hope I did good :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
What happened to the Denon you were considering? It has decent power and a full set of preouts. Is it too late to return the 770?

U

unrealii

Enthusiast
What happened to the Denon you were considering? It has decent power and a full set of preouts. Is it too late to return the 770?
I can still return it. I haven't opened it yet. The Denon has been discontinued. I dont think frys will have another one on sale and if they do it will likely be open box. The newegg offer is from 3rd party sellers.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I can still return it. I haven't opened it yet. The Denon has been discontinued. I dont think frys will have another one on sale and if they do it will likely be open box. The newegg offer is from 3rd party sellers.
Click

Denon authorized dealer and Denon factory refurbished. I've bought 2 or 3 receivers from them and have had a great experience with both. That one comes with a 1 year manufacturer warranty. It's a pretty sweet receiver. I'd take that yammy back and get the 3300 for sure.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis