Yamaha Aventage RX-A2020, RX-A3020 Receiver Preview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Sometimes when manufacturers release such a large line of receivers, they run out of steam when they get to the top. Not Yamaha with their Aventage line. The top two, the RX-A2020 and the RX-A3020 not only are improvements over the rest of the Aventage line, but they are significantly different from each other. If you are looking for the most flexible, three-zone receiver we've ever seen, the RX-A3020 is for you. The RX-A2020 is no slouch, however, with tons of options, features, and state of the functionality that you are going to be hard pressed to top with any receiver offering.

Discuss "Yamaha Aventage RX-2020, RX-3020 Receiver Preview" here. Read the article.

Last edited by a moderator:
Living Stereo

Living Stereo

Enthusiast
Is there a way to summarize what has changed between the RX2010/RX3010 vs the RX2020/RX3020 ? It would be nice to know as I am shopping for a new receiver and would like to know the differences as the 3010 can be had for less than the 3020.

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

Is there a way to summarize what has changed between the RX2010/RX3010 vs the RX2020/RX3020 ? It would be nice to know as I am shopping for a new receiver and would like to know the differences as the 3010 can be had for less than the 3020.
I'm pretty sure if you read the article it will answer most of your questions. A few of the changes are Air/play, 4k up-scaling, and on he 3020 the 2nd HDMI can be used independently. So it really depends on your needs whether or not you opt for the savings or the new features.

Rowdy S13

Rowdy S13

Audioholic Chief
I just recently bought the 2010, so I am a little biased, but looking at that article I am not upset I didn't wait. Other than possibly saving some money on a 2010 after the 2020 is officially out, there is nothing in the way of features I cant live without. I see 4k capabilities, I doubt I will use anything 4k in the next 5 years at least if ever. I see air play, since I am anti Apple (somewhat) I have no use for that at all. The article says that it is still two simultaneous HDMI out's, so no gain there. The rest of it is very give and take, you gain an input here, loose one here, but HDMI in and out are the same. Speaker terminals/amps are the same. Processing seems to all be the same.

To summarize, you cant really go wrong with either the 2010 or the 2020. I would say if you have use for airplay and you are OK with the cost get the 2020. Other than that you are probably better off saving some and getting the 2010. That's just my biased opinion though!

Sean

P.S. My 2010 is one bad mother of a receiver!!!

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
We added a tabulated list of features for the 2020/2010 and 3020/3010 for your convenience.

P

pitoneux

Audiophyte
Would be nice to add what is different between those new models and the one they are replacing.... (may be just in bold) for instance, the new models all dropped Pandora.... no more Pandora!

...and I was hopping to see more services like Spotify, MOG, iTunes libraries, etc.... oh well...

Rowdy S13

Rowdy S13

Audioholic Chief
Would be nice to add what is different between those new models and the one they are replacing.... (may be just in bold) for instance, the new models all dropped Pandora.... no more Pandora!

...and I was hopping to see more services like Spotify, MOG, iTunes libraries, etc.... oh well...
If they dropped Pandora, I am really glad I got the 2010!!! I know its pretty horrible quality, but its great for just background music while doing things around the house, or when you have people over. I use it a LOT while working on the car, and it was a big selling point for me on a new receiver.

Sean

Living Stereo

Living Stereo

Enthusiast
We added a tabulated list of features for the 2020/2010 and 3020/3010 for your convenience.

Thanks, just what I was looking for.:cool:

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
If they dropped Pandora, I am really glad I got the 2010!!! I know its pretty horrible quality, but its great for just background music while doing things around the house, or when you have people over. I use it a LOT while working on the car, and it was a big selling point for me on a new receiver.

Sean
Actually Pandora played thru a good DAC is pretty darn good quality, especially if you pay the annual fee for the higher data rate.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator

Sean
I think you're right. They figure people will stream over airplay. Has anyone compared the sound quality of streaming it wirelessly to the direct connect from ethernet to the receiver?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I know when I compared streaming from the computer as compared using the direct connect to the receiver the direct connect sounded better. Direct connect was also a touch louder compared to streaming with airplay, but even level matched direct connect sounded better, subjectively of course. This was all with a Marantz SR5006.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis