Yamaha 1400 Set up/Help

J

JackStraw

Audiophyte
Hi Folks,

Newbie to Home Theater, any clarifications on my issues below would be
greatly appreciated.

Purchased the Yamaha 1400 and I am attempting to calibrate the unit etc.

What is the difference between Multi Channel input jacks and setting up 5 speakers with good speaker wire as I have for 5.1 set up with the 1400 unit? I have L,R, C, SR and SL when I watch a DVD I get 5 seperate channels/speakers and it shows it on the LED ? Do I still need to set up "Multi Channel Input" ? For what ?

I have 5 speakers connected as mentioned, but when watching 5.1 broadcasts via my HD digital cabel box, I only get L & R ? The HD cable box is connected to the receiver, the speakers are connected to the 1400 receiver, should'nt I get 5.1 sound from my speakers when I watch 5.1 Dolby Broadcasts, or is this another "Multi channel input/output" that I must set up.

I guess I am not getting the need for Multi Channel Input jacks when I have
the 5 speakers connected, seems redundant ?

Thanks for your help, Dave

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
The multi-channel input jacks are where you would connect the analog signals from an external multi-channel decoder like a DVD-A/SACD player. And then, to listen to it, you would push the little button on the lower right front that says multi-channel input. I do not have cable TV, so I'm not sure if those offer 5.1 analog outputs yet. However, If the catv boxes digital output is connected to the RX-V1400 properly, you will get multi-channel sound, unless you pushed the multi-channel button, then you will only get stereo (if that). Or you need to program the default input for the catv box especially if there are both digital electrical, digital optical, and analog outputs from the catv box connected to the RX-V1400.

Have the used the auto set up? Maybe you do not have the correct number of speakers programed.

I'll also add that only certain broadcasts on digital cable channels (those are usually above 100) are in 5.1

To get these you have to have the cable box hooked up to the receiver via coax (a single RCA jack) or optical (less common) digital cable. If you only connected the red and white Left/Right analogue connections, you'll never get 5.1.

ALSO - many channels on "Digital" cable are still analogue - meaning that you will probabaly NEVER get 5.1 or any digital signal from channels 2-99, depending upon your market.

J

JackStraw

Audiophyte
thanks for the replies...so the multi channel input needs to be hooked up in addition to the 5 speakers I have connected already ?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis