Yamaha 1060 or Marantz 5011?

L

lithnights

Audioholic
After getting some great feedback on my previous post..

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/newbie-looking-for-new-receiver-suggestions-help-marantz-5011-thoughts.106968/page-2#post-1178784

I have narrowed it down to 2 receivers. The Marantz 5011 or the Yamaha 1060. I have researched both, read dozens of posts and reviews for both, and listened to both side by side at Best Buy. Here are my thoughts..

Marantz 5011.. sounds very similar to the 1060. 90W. Slightly nicer remote. Horrible SMALL display. 11 lbs lighter (not sure if this is a good or bad thing!) The Best Buy salesman pushed this one (he owns it, so he may be biased).

Yamaha 1060.. similar sound, perhaps slightly better to my ear. 110W. MUCH nicer display (at least I can see it from 10 feet away unlike the Marantz). This is important to me since I often listen to Tuner or SONOS, so the TV is NOT on to show the volume. Slightly more expensive, but HEAVILY DISCOUNTED right now at local store ($200 lower than anywhere else). Seems to be slightly more future proof? I plan to have this 10+ years if possible.

So I was wondering what folks thought of these 2 side by side. Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I prefer Audyssey's rc over ypao. That's about all I got. The 1060 looks like an awesome unit too though.

Craig Payne

Craig Payne

Enthusiast
If you are planning on running Atmos then I would step up to the 2060 which gives you 9.2ch or 5.1.4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

L

lithnights

Audioholic
If you are planning on running Atmos then I would step up to the 2060 which gives you 9.2ch or 5.1.4

Don't have atmos speakers currently, and don't know when/if I'd have that setup, so not sure it'd be worthwhile to spend so much more on the 2060. It's a bit out of the budget. Thanks for the feedback!

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
After getting some great feedback on my previous post..

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/newbie-looking-for-new-receiver-suggestions-help-marantz-5011-thoughts.106968/page-2#post-1178784

I have narrowed it down to 2 receivers. The Marantz 5011 or the Yamaha 1060. I have researched both, read dozens of posts and reviews for both, and listened to both side by side at Best Buy. Here are my thoughts..

Marantz 5011.. sounds very similar to the 1060. 90W. Slightly nicer remote. Horrible SMALL display. 11 lbs lighter (not sure if this is a good or bad thing!) The Best Buy salesman pushed this one (he owns it, so he may be biased).

Yamaha 1060.. similar sound, perhaps slightly better to my ear. 110W. MUCH nicer display (at least I can see it from 10 feet away unlike the Marantz). This is important to me since I often listen to Tuner or SONOS, so the TV is NOT on to show the volume. Slightly more expensive, but HEAVILY DISCOUNTED right now at local store ($200 lower than anywhere else). Seems to be slightly more future proof? I plan to have this 10+ years if possible.

So I was wondering what folks thought of these 2 side by side. Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
I don't normally judge a receiver by its weight but if both the Yamaha and Marantz are of the same class amplifier, I would go with the Yamaha as it appears to have a meatier power supply then the Marantz. Eleven pounds is a substantial weight difference in my opinion. Yamaha's YPAO has improved substantially. As far I know, there has benn no objective studies done on which room eq sounds the best.

Craig Payne

Craig Payne

Enthusiast
I would also go with the Yammy A1060. I own a 3060 and YPAO works very accurately. The 1060 has better specs too so it's worth the extra cost. It also comes down to personal preference

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Another vote for the Yamaha. I listened extensively to the 1060 compared to the 7011 they had set up at BB. Same speakers, same source, and the 1060 sounded better to me then the $2100 Marantz. That along with the terrible port hole display, and the fact that the Marantz was always very Hot to the touch, convinced me to go with the 3060. I have no regrets, the Yamaha is a fantastic receiver. Some say Audyssey over YPAO, but are there any objective comparisons on room EQ? I don't know, but I didn't hear that Audyssy was better sounding. In the end I guess it comes down to personal preference.

T

ThunderClap

Audioholic
The 5011 is a spectacular avr

I have the Yamaha rx - a 750 as well and there's no comparison.

The marantz 5011 is a far better music avr - can't speak for the 1060

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis