Y connector audio problem

L

Lewman

Audiophyte
I recently bought a new Sony blu ray player with a coaxial digital output. The problem is that I have a Direct TVGenie box connected to my old receiver that does not have HDMI inputs and only one coaxial digital input. I thought I could connect the blu ray player and the Genie to the one input to my a/v receiver with a splitter. The Genie box works fine but when I try to play my new blu ray player I get no sound unless I unplug the Genie from the splitter. I dont understand why I get sound from the Genie with the splitter hooked up but no sound from the blu ray player. I know not to have them both on at the same time while using a Y splitter. What could be the problem? Thanks.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum!

That could be an issue with the impedance of the splitter and the signal strength on the Sony...but I'm just speculating. Others here might know much better.

I just wanted to throw out two ideas: (1) an RCA switch box, which you can get from Amazon for under $5 for a manually-switched unit (or about $20 for a fancier one), or (2) a digital coax to optical converter, assuming that you have a free optical input on your receiver. Those converters cost in the $15-$20 range, but then you wouldn't need to switch back and forth.

L

Lewman

Audiophyte
Thanks for the reply. Yes I do have free optical inputs on my receiver. That was what I had my previous blu ray player hooked up to. I will try one of these options.

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
While you can "Y" (or Wye) one analog output to the inputs of two other units, you can not "Y" to outputs into one input.

See RaneNote:
Why Not Wye?
[h=1]Why Not Wye?[/h]Dennis Bohn, Rane Corporation
RaneNote 109
written 1991; last revised 4/04

• Splitting Signals
  • Subwoofing in Mono
  • Unbalanced Summing
  • Balanced Summing
  • Output Impedances

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
While you can "Y" (or Wye) one analog output to the inputs of two other units, you can not "Y" to outputs into one input.
I disagree. I did that with audio and video at my parents' house. Worked great as long as only one input was on at a time.

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
Did you read the Rane Note?

Anything that can be hooked-up wrong, will be. You-know-who said that, and she was right. A wye-connector used to split a signal into two lines is being used properly; a wye-connector used to mix two signals into one is being abused and may even damage the equipment involved.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Did you read the Rane Note?
Nope. I figure that theory is all well and good, but I have experience that goes the other way. I'm not trying to be argumentative - just saying the statement that y-connectors can't be used to combine inputs is not universally appropriate.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Could be the difference is analog vs. digital. You can combine analog. Digital probably isn't going to work.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
You got lucky, Adam.

Keep in mind that the output of one unit is being fed into the output of the other unit (which has an impedance) and the input of the desired target unit (which has an impedance as well). Impedance issues abound here and the combined impedances could be loading down the signal and preventing the one output from working when it's connected in parallel with the other two units, which it is.

So, yes, while it works on your folks units that's great, but I recently heard about a girl who survived after falling several thousand feet without her parachute opening. bit, I wouldn't recommend anyone else try it.

That Rane handout is an excellent source.

The simple solution is to get a cheap switch, something sort of like this one[/u] might work. It doesn't specify digital but it does pass composite video so I'd give it a go.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
You got lucky, Adam.
Yes, we discuss this same topic from time to time. It worked great, but we can talk about all of the things that could have gone wrong. :) People chime in about why it shouldn't have worked, or why it should/could have damaged something...but it did work and didn't damage anything.

The simple solution is to get a cheap switch, something sort of like this one[/u] might work. It doesn't specify digital but it does pass composite video so I'd give it a go.

That's one of the "fancier" switch options that I mentioned in the original response. If the OP is going to pay that much for a switch, though, a coax-to-optical converter (mentioned in my original response, too) is probably the better option.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
It' better to spend $14 on something that works than $4 on something that doesn't, doncha think?

I know it will work. Obviously, the "Y" connector didn't, otherwise we wouldn't be having this discussion, would we?

Let us know how that skydiving works out for ya. ;)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
It' better to spend $14 on something that works than $4 on something that doesn't, doncha think?
No argument, but the $4 switch also got reviews from people who said it worked.

I know it will work. Obviously, the "Y" connector didn't, otherwise we wouldn't be having this discussion, would we?
That's why I recommended a switch or converter in the very first response in this thread.

Let us know how that skydiving works out for ya. ;)
I think that I already have. :)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
For combining digital sources?
The switch isn't used to combine digital sources - it is used to switch between them. That's why you recommended one, too, right? :) I didn't read all of the reviews, though, so if you saw that people specifically had issues using the less expensive switch on digital sources, then no arguments from me.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
The switch isn't used to combine digital sources - it is used to switch between them. That's why you recommended one, too, right? :) I didn't read all of the reviews, though, so if you saw that people specifically had issues using the less expensive switch on digital sources, then no arguments from me.
No, but that "Y" "connector" we are talking about isn't a switch. Try to keep up, will ya? :rolleyes:

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
No, but that "Y" "connector" we are talking about isn't a switch. Try to keep up, will ya? :rolleyes:
You should keep up, man. :) I've been in this the whole time. Read my FIRST post. Amazon sells a $4 SWITCH. You recommended a more expensive one, which fell into the "fancier" category of switches mentioned in my FIRST post. I never once recommended using a y-splitter to the OP. Never once. I simply said that the statement that one cannot use a splitter to combine inputs is incorrect.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
This switch is under $4 at Amazon and is the one that I was talking about originally. I didn't link to it because my post was one of generalities.

Luckily the OP got it right away, and he's the one that I was trying to help.

Last edited:
M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
sorry, I misread about that $switch. But, the action took place only when you recommended using a splitter as a combiner. A $h switch should work as well as a more expensive one, all else being equal.

..but I still don't recommenrd a $4 "Y" splitter as a connector.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis