O

ougrad02

Audioholic
So I received my xpa-3 today! Wow this thing is a monster. I have a silly question about placement. Due to its weight I don't know where I'm going to put it when all is said and done. I have an av rack mounted to the wall but it will not support this behemoth. The subwoofer (Hsu vtf3 mkii) is in the area of that rack. I was wondering if it would cause problems to place the xpa-3 on top of the sub. Will this damage or cause problems for either item?

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
I am against ID direct companies selling products slapped together in China.

These companies are selling products that are not up to the specifications, or quality of products that have been around.

They are taking business away from the companies who make quality products. This will force those companies, that haven't already, to move their jobs to China to be able to compete.

Moving assembly to China will ruin a brand. Not to mention what it does to the people who have been building the products for ever.

I know what moving MB Quart assembly to China did for the brand. It can happen to any company.

If the brands we know and love lose income, think of what it will do for development of even higher quality products. Think of how it will slow down product advancements. They are hurting enough from the current economy.

There is just too many people here recommending this type of product, and not enough support for higher quality products. A new member will join, and the next thing you know, his system is filled with ID products.

As far as hearing the amp, the specs say enough about the quality to me. Not to mention all the problems with the products that have been posted during such a short period of time.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks Zumbo your comments have been very helpful.
Doing this in your thread is out of line, and I apologize for that.

Just getting a little frustrated with members spending other peoples money on this type of product.

I hope you have good luck with the item. I meant nothing personal towards you. Looking back, it wasn't very nice of me.

Once again, I apologize.:)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
So, Apple should be slapped on the hand too? Everything they make is manufactured in China. iPhone, iPad, iPod, iTouch; all of it (not that I am a fan of Apple either). The reality is, most current consumer products are in some way tied to China - either the components, and often the assembly also are done in China, so that in and of itself is NOT an indicator of quality. Do you have an example of a higher quality product that is the same price and is not manufactured in China?

What I look for in an ID company are great customer service and a solid product for the price. Emotiva provided me with both. I did have an issue with my XPA-3 out of the box and they took care of the issue quickly and at no cost to me. I also have zero complaints about the amp or its quality.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
So, Apple should be slapped on the hand too? Everything they make is manufactured in China. iPhone, iPad, iPod, iTouch; all of it (not that I am a fan of Apple either). The reality is, most current consumer products are in some way tied to China - either the components, and often the assembly also are done in China, so that in and of itself is NOT an indicator of quality. Do you have an example of a higher quality product that is the same price and is not manufactured in China?
Buying a product not manufactured in China will cost more.

Finding a three-channel amp with .1% distortion is pretty hard too.

Most companies seem to have dropped three-channel amps.

Finding any competitor with .1% distortion is almost impossible.

What I look for in an ID company are great customer service and a solid product for the price. Emotiva provided me with both. I did have an issue with my XPA-3 out of the box and they took care of the issue quickly and at no cost to me. I also have zero complaints about the amp or its quality.
You had an issue. It was a quality issue.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I bought a b-stock unit, so it had a problem previously. They replaced it.

I specifically wanted it because they offered a 3 channel amp. I wanted it in one chassis if possible, so I could have one plug instead of the three monoblocks that I was using.

Does .1% really make a difference? The AH tests of their other amps indicate that they do just fine producing plenty of clean power and I can attest to this fact as well. I am not saying they are better than other brands, but for the price, I hardly think there is room to complain.

Last edited:
O

ougrad02

Audioholic
Thanks Zumbo. I appreciate the apology. Your frustration isn't unwarranted but I think everyone has to find their own path. I was looking for a three channel amp and happened to find a good price on this used xpa3. My thought is if it fits my needs and sounds good to me then great. If not then I can always sell it on audiogon and move to something else. Who knows I may not see any type of diff between using the xpa3 and just using the onkyo 705 I have. I don't have much experience with seperates so this to me is more of a trial thing. I hear a lot of people saying seperates are the way to go so I just wanted to get a taste of it. So I'll see how it goes.

On another note, since you have a strong opinion, would you mind recommending other brands I should be looking into if I am unhappy with the xpa3? I'd like to keep it under 1k. I mostly want to power the front three with the amp and let the receiver handle the surrounds but as if you say 3 channel amps are becoming a thing of the past I may have to look into a 5 channel one.
Doing this in your thread is out of line, and I apologize for that.

Just getting a little frustrated with members spending other peoples money on this type of product.

I hope you have good luck with the item. I meant nothing personal towards you. Looking back, it wasn't very nice of me.

Once again, I apologize.:)

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Parasound HCA-2003A

Anthem MCA-30

Rotel RB-993

Adcom GFA-5503

T

TommyTom83

Junior Audioholic
I very well may be wrong, but I thought Rotel products are made in china, in the same factory as b&w speakers. Which b&w makes all of their speakers there except for the 800 series.

O

ougrad02

Audioholic
So Zumbo tell me what makes these amps any better in your opinion. I'm very new when it comes to amps so I'm rather naive. I really like the anthem products including their receivers. I considered getting something from them when I bought my studio 60's because the dealer was willing to give me a pretty good price. However it was still out of my current price range. The emotiva seemed to fit the bill with price and happy customers who recommended them. Now at some point maybe I'll move to the anthem amps or receivers when I have the money but for now the Emotiva price seems hard to beat and many people seem to swear by them. The other amps you pointed out are obv in the price range as they will be found used, being older models. I know this isn't a huge selling point but those amps aren't as asthetically pleasing to the eye. IMO anyway. It's definitely not my deciding factor as sound is the number one measure but I'd like to have something nice to look at as well.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
I very well may be wrong, but I thought Rotel products are made in china, in the same factory as b&w speakers. Which b&w makes all of their speakers there except for the 800 series.
As stated:
They are taking business away from the companies who make quality products. This will force those companies, that haven't already, to move their jobs to China to be able to compete.
Also, 800 series are the only B&W than sound good to me.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
So Zumbo tell me what makes these amps any better in your opinion.
Build quality. .1% distortion is a clear indicator to me.

I know this isn't a huge selling point but those amps aren't as asthetically pleasing to the eye. IMO anyway. It's definitely not my deciding factor as sound is the number one measure but I'd like to have something nice to look at as well.
I don't look at my amps. They are all black/silver boxes to me. OTOH, blue lights and silver side plates can be added to most.

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
While I certainly understand Zumbo's concerns with stuff made in China, Emotiva stuff is hard to ignore. Adcom's version of the XPA-5 is more than twice the cost and I can guarantee it does not sound twice as good. It also may very well be made in China. It would not surprise me. I would also like to point out to Zum a few other points.

The quality control issues for Emotiva I think are probably unwarranted and overblown. On forums such as these you are going to hear more from the people who have issues than the people who are perfectly happy. One only need to go to any manufactures discussions boards and they are filled with people having all sorts of issues. If I based my computer preferences off of the Apple discussion boards, I would never buy a mac. I have had very few issues with mac hardware and software. I have had problems with Denon, Yamaha and Samsung. All were resolved, but I had the issues.

From what I have read and discussed most are perfectly happy with their Emotiva amps. They seem to be an incredible deal considering what else is out there. I think you made a very wise choice and as soon as I pay Alex a visit I am getting an XPA-3 or 5:)

The Onkyo receiver I just bought was a ,so-called, scratch and dent. I got it for almost half price and it was in mint condition with full manufactures warranty and 30 day return from Crutch. No issues thus far.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis