K

krisdownunder

Enthusiast
Are XLR inputs worth the effort over the sound quality of the hdmi cable?

K

krisdownunder

Enthusiast
Two different animals. Can you be more specific on what gear your looking at.
I have the Yamaha BD A1060 player and have just ordered the rxv3083 here In Australia. That you don't get in the USA but is exactly the same as the new rxa3070 to be released in July. I will be running then with jbl l880 towers cl1 centre a l8400p sub. Do you think I will notice and difference in sound quality using XLR cables over hdmi?

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I'm with everettT on this one: XLR and hdmi are two very different creatures. What's your use case or how are you thinking you would make use of the two?

XLR: the XLR connector is a style of electrical connector, primarily found on professional audio, video, and stage lighting equipment. Think microphones and speaker connections. An analog connection.

HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) is a proprietary audio/video interface for transmitting uncompressed video data and compressed or uncompressed digital audio data from a HDMI-compliant source device, such as a display controller, to a compatible computer monitor, video projector, digital television, or digital audio device.[4] HDMI is a digital replacement for analog video standards.
The A type connector is what you see most commonly in home audio.

UPDATE: For connecting speakers to an AVR, you can go RCA connections (red and white connectors) or XLR connections if the AVR and the speaker have them. HDMI cables don't connect speakers in the normal audio setup. There maybe some scenario where that happens, but, in most AVRS to speakers : its RCA or XLR. HDMI is an all digital signal and speakers want amplified analog

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Think of XLR as analog signal in or out. ( except pro gear AESBU digital) and HDMI as copyright protected digital. XLR is typically used for long runs to reduce interference, and unless truly balanced is worth that much. You have consumers gear, so don't worry about it. XLR will never carry the full signal that hdmi does

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
In simple context to Home Theatre an XLR connection carries one analog audio channel from a source component to pre/pro or AVR and this connection may also be made between pre/pro and power amplifier. Professional Digital Recorders use XLR connections to carry digital signals, AES/EBU standard. HDMI carries audio and video digital streams. It's a godsend, eliminating the snakes of cable otherwise needed for a multi source, multi room Home Theatre system.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You can utilize the DAC for 2.0 content and utilize the xlr output on your player, or you can send a full multi-ch signal to your avr via hdmi. You only care about 2.0 content on a bluray player?

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
One thing about digital AES/EBU, this connection will not transmit, unless instructed, an SCMS copy production code, meaning you can make unlimited digital to digital copies, and unlimited digital copies from the copies. These connections also allow digital copying of SCMS protected DATS This was very important for professionals back when consumer DAT recorders only used Toslink and IEC 958 connections, which were forced to carry SCMS copy protection, making only one digital to digital copy possible; and, no possibility for a digital to digital copy from the copy. For me, I did not want any possibility of grabbing a DAT to copy and send to client that was not highest quality, or which the client would not be able to use as desired.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis