XBMC/Kodi - do you get 7.1 DTS-HD on your systems?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hi, all. I started using XBMC (now Kodi) a little while ago, and overall I love it. One thing that I can't figure out is how to get 7.1 audio. The tracks that I have that are 7.1 all play as 5.1. At first, I thought maybe I created the MKV files wrong, but I've tried several with 7.1 tracks that all play as 5.1. If you get 7.1 on your systems, was there a trick to getting that to work? I'm running it on Max OS X.

I'm also up for using other software. I just want to play MKV files and get the full audio track.

Thanks!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Did you configure the XBMC system setup as 7.1, instead of 5.1?

I only have 5.1, but I did have to set it up as 5.1.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks. Yes, I set it up at 7.1, and I've enabled pass-through for the audio. If I use PCM, my receiver shows it as being 7.1 audio coming in but it sounds very wrong - like XBMC is sending audio for all seven speakers, but that it's downmixed to stereo.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Did you play around with the XBMC HDMI input/output settings?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
it's really Easy

0) make sure the skin is default - Confluence - if you don't know what it means - it's probably stock Confluence :)
a) Settings -> System -> Settings Level - change to expert
b) Audio output -> Number of channels, output config-> best match, Enable pass-thru- Enable.
c) enable codecs your avr supports

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
If only it were that easy. :D

I appreciate the input. The one thing that I didn't have set like that was the "Best Match" option, but I had that on "Optimized" that I believe does the same thing but that it won't switch after the file starts playing. But, I tried Best Match and still don't get 7.1.

Maybe my files don't have 7.1 even though I choose to extract that track, but the audio track when I pulled it up on XBMC says "7.1" in it...but it also says "5.1" on the same line.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If only it were that easy. :D

I appreciate the input. The one thing that I didn't have set like that was the "Best Match" option, but I had that on "Optimized" that I believe does the same thing but that it won't switch after the file starts playing. But, I tried Best Match and still don't get 7.1.

Maybe my files don't have 7.1 even though I choose to extract that track, but the audio track when I pulled it up on XBMC says "7.1" in it...but it also says "5.1" on the same line.
Well, I know I used to use PowerDVD10 Ultra and 7.1 worked playing back my ISO files, but I never used PDVD to playback MKV files.

Lulimet

Lulimet

Full Audioholic
I don't think OS X can pass thru the HD audio formats. What is probably happening is that even though KODI does report that the file you are playing is DTS-HD 7.1, it is extracting the core DTS 5.1 track and passing it thru to your receiver. Android has that problem too.
As far as I know, the only way to have Kodi pass thru HD audio is to use a Windows or Linux machine. Openelec (which is Linux) also does HD audio.

BTW, leave the speaker output settings to 2.0 within Kodi. That way your receiver does the decoding.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Lulimet might be right about mac.
My openelec on Nvidia gpu pass through works.
I have yet to check if fire stick does pass-through. Will report soon

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for the input, guys. I'll have to try out the 2.0 setting tonight.

I thought that my receiver was showing DTS-HD (I'll have to verify tonight), but it just won't get to 7.1 for some reason. Oddly enough, a 7.1 track today - for the first time - showed up as 6.1. I won't be surprised if it's user error at all, but I thought that I had all of the right settings down and wanted to ask. I knew it was a long shot to get another Mac user. :) Thanks, again.

Grassy

Grassy

Full Audioholic
I get 7.1 dtsma with my auzentech xfi sound card through my pc and i also have power dvd13 ultra. Perfect combination.

M

moreira85

Audioholic Chief
How are you liking Kodi? I have started using it in the last few months and I love it.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I like it quite a bit. I just wish that it...well, on Macs anyway...could do 7.1 audio. The overall interface works great for me.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I think I'm responsible (at least partially) for spreading xbmc/kodi on these forums and yes - while Plex has some minor convincing points, kodi is still the king

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Hey Adam, on Windows, Kodi max channels <= Windows' sound card config max channels. Last time I upgraded my Nvidia drivers my sound device config reverted to a default setting of 2.0, and Kodi playback was affected likewise. Have you checked your audio device config in OSX System Preferences to make sure it isn't limited to 5.1 at the OS level?

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Forum Fiend v1.3.1.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks, Rojo! I appreciate the advice. That didn't help get 7.1 from Kodi, at least yet, but I did do some research and learned a bit more about the sound settings in OS X.

F

Faisal

Audiophyte
Excellent advice,worked perfect for my Yamaha 675 home theater system

D

david rogers

Audiophyte
on passthrough output device set it to wasapi hdmi 1 , and at the top under audio output again set to waspi. that should do it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis