WTB Affordable Two or Three Channel Amp

Gunny

Gunny

Junior Audioholic
Trying to get into the Atmos game [7.1.4, up from 7.1] but need another amp to compliment my Outlaw 7140 and Acurus A200x3 before I buy 4x SVS elevation speakers. Since I already have 10 integrated amps I technically only need one more but would still consider stereo or 3 channel options.

Suggestions are always welcome too.

Thanks

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
There aren't many 3ch options these days. XPA Gen 3 configured for 3 channels new, but since you're only adding the presence speakers I'd say your best bet would be either another used 3ch amp or even some old Marantz monoblocks - MA500 (150W), MA700 (200W) or MA6100s (150W) should be easy to find.

An integrated is an amp with a preamp that has no processing.

Ron_Phelps

Ron_Phelps

Junior Audioholic
Hey Gunny

I have a HK amp in storage - If I remember right it was a 3 channel - if u r interested I will have to go into the basement for particulars...

let me know

thx

Ron

Gunny

Gunny

Junior Audioholic
There aren't many 3ch options these days. XPA Gen 3 configured for 3 channels new, but since you're only adding the presence speakers I'd say your best bet would be either another used 3ch amp or even some old Marantz monoblocks - MA500 (150W), MA700 (200W) or MA6100s (150W) should be easy to find.

An integrated is an amp with a preamp that has no processing.
Thanks. That's what I'm running into. Not a lot of reasonably-priced 3 channel options out there. I have a Marantz AV7702mkII which supports up to eleven channels along with the Outlaw 7140 and Acurus 3-channel.

Gunny

Gunny

Junior Audioholic
Hey Gunny

I have a HK amp in storage - If I remember right it was a 3 channel - if u r interested I will have to go into the basement for particulars...

let me know

thx

Ron
Hey Ron - I don't want you to go through any unnecessary trouble. I would need something in the 140 - 200 WPC range. If it's close to those specs, can you give me a ballpark idea of what you would accept to part with it.

Gunny

Gunny

Junior Audioholic
Wondering if that might work mated to the less demanding channels such as rear surround? Thoughts?

Gunny

Gunny

Junior Audioholic
100 wpc is a lot more than u might think...
Agreed, Ron. Please let me know when you can get around to digging this amp out and what you'll need to part with it. I'll probably be buying my speakers within the next 30 days or so and would like to have an amp ready for them.
Unless surrounds are significantly less sensitive or capable of the distance involved....perhaps.
My surrounds are Axiom QS 8's and the elevation speakers will be SVS Prime's. 96 and 87 dB sensitivity, respectively.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Might want to work out the math with your speakers' sensitivity and distance to your listening position with your spl goals to get an idea of amp needs, too. An spl calculator may help you estimate that....

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Atmos/surround duty should not be as demanding. Despite the amount of activity they might see, they won't be playing at as elevated of a level as the mains. I would expect 100W to be sufficient for them.

Gunny

Gunny

Junior Audioholic
Thanks Ron - This is a two channel amp but that's still enough for my needs. $125.00 is a good price but how much will shipping be? I am in Atlanta.

Ron_Phelps

Ron_Phelps

Junior Audioholic
How fortunate that I am in Athens, GA - why don't we meet halfway if that works for you ?

Gunny

Gunny

Junior Audioholic
Got the amp, now I just need the speakers.

Thanks for meeting me Ron. It was great chatting with you and your wife!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis