Would you recommend center channel speaker for music?

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
Do I need a center channel speaker for music only? Why?

It's Recommend. Sorry

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Dear OP, here's how I read your post:
Do I need a fifth wheel for 4WD only? Why?

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
Guess that's a no. How about for TV thru the system?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Guess that's a no. How about for TV thru the system?
You want to play sound from TV instead of built-in speaker onto your external speaker??
If so - It's a great idea , If you TV has (preferably digital) audio out port

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
No I want to know if a center speaker is needed when watching tv and using my AV sound system?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
To me, a Center speaker is needed only when I watch something recorded in 5.1 surround sound (DTS, DD).

I only like to listen to music in stereo mode, so I never need a center speaker for any music.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I don't want to disagree with everyones comments so I vote no as well ;) I listen to music in 2 Channel Pure direct so I don't use a center channel for music. The exception for this rule has only applied is the 2 DVD-AUDIO and SACD discs.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
For music listening I myself prefer stereo with sub, so no center speaker. For tv/movies center channel is good IF your source has multichannel audio, but if the source audio is stereo then it wont bring anything.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
I like straight 2 channel and pure direct as well, but I have to admit, sometimes I do listen to music in Prologic II music mode. I figure, heck, if I went to the trouble of setting up 5 speakers, why not use them. And the Ascend Acoustics horizon is one fantastic sounding center, IMO.

The OP is a bit vague though. What are you trying to accomplish? Do you have a surround receiver with at least 5.1? Are you trying to set up a surround system? What do you currently have now?

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
AV Yamaha RX A1050 currently 5.1 (4.1? ).
Fronts B&W C5s
Rears B&W 685s
Sub SVS PB2000
Dish tv
DVD Samsung

Just received 2 Aperion ll bookshelves, not sure if they will be fronts or rears.

Aperions will replace rears.

Last edited:
H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Good4it, think about how music is mastered. Every TV show, movie and musical performance is recorded with multiple microphones, and often artificial sound effects are added. An engineer takes the recordings from each source and puts them together in a single soundtrack.

A soundtrack can have only one channel. It's called "mono".
Most music has 2 channels: Left & Right, "stereo".
Most TV/movies have 5.1 channels: Left, Center, Right, Left Surround, Right Surround, and subwoofer.

In each case the engineer decides what he wants you to hear. Usually for music, he pretends you are sitting in the middle of the venue, several rows back from the front. So if the guitar or violins are on the left side of the stage, he puts their sounds in the Left channel. Instruments on the right go to the right channel. Instruments in the middle go equally to the left & right, so your brain interprets that sound as coming from the middle.

For TV/movies, and engineer does the same thing. Since usually the speaking character is on the screen directly in front of you, his voice is put on the Center channel. Various other sounds like doors opening, floors creaking, doorbells, jets, etc. should seem like they are off the screen to the left or right, or even behind you. So the engineer puts those sounds in the appropriate channels.

Dialog is primary in most all TV/movies, so the Center channel is used a lot. Much more than any of the other channels. If you don't have a center speaker, your AVR will send the center channel sounds equally to your Left & Right speakers. An identical sound at equal volumes and equal distances from your Left & Right will be interpreted by your brain as coming from the middle. It's called having a "phantom" center.

Most audiophiles like to listen to stuff in the same format with which it was mastered. If the engineer mastered the recording in stereo, we listen in stereo. If he mastered in 5.1, we listen in 5.1. Your AVR can artificially convert one format to another, but it is artificial and not as intended.

So the short answer is: No, you don't need a Center speaker for most music, but you do need it for most TV/movies.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis