Worth the hassle to sell this, or just junk it?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If it still works, maybe put it up on criagslist for $10 or $15. Otherwise it's junk; if you decide to throw it away, make sure to send it to electronics recycling, not the city dump. I would remove the driver motor magnet in it and have some fun with that.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Doing some late / early 'Spring Cleaning' and need to clear out old unused things; among them a JBL PSW-D110 powered subwoofer. Is it worth the hassle to try to sell it?

https://www.amazon.com/JBL-PSWD110-Powered-Subwoofer/dp/B00000JFE2

I'm gonna junk some old crt-type TV's, old computer desktop ink-jet color and dot-matrix printers, etc.
That sub is a problem child and most have failed. Those subs are dangerous unless modified. These were built with the C6 cap 10 mfd 50 volt whereas it should be 10 mfd 100 volt. This cap as it ages violently explodes. If this sub has not been used in a while then it makes explosion more likely. DO NOT PLUG IT IN.

JBL have a service bulletin on this. They have a kit ready to go to do the mod, but they make you pay for it. Most people reckon they should pay for the mod, but they have consistently refused, despite the fact that these subs are dangerous.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
JBL have a service bulletin on this. They have a kit ready to go to do the mod, but they make you pay for it. Most people reckon they should pay for the mod, but they have consistently refused, despite the fact that these subs are dangerous.
Is it dangerous to human health/life? If so, I would think they would be required to do a consumer product safety recall, or be so inclined to avoid possible litigation.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Is it dangerous to human health/life? If so, I would think they would be required to do a consumer product safety recall, or be so inclined to avoid possible litigation.
Yes, it is believed to be. There have been numerous reports of very severe explosions with that C6 cap. JBL have admitted that the cap has only half the voltage rating it should have. The surprising thing is that most units have had to get as old as they have before most of them have exploded. Exploding caps are no fun. I had this happen to me once and was lucky not to be injured.

I think this is why that got a let out on this and the fact that the explosion is contained inside the amp case. However it has given people some very nasty scares.

I still believe they should not be used without changing the C6 cap.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yep, that's the one that my friend had that smoked and would probably have caught fire had he not gotten home while it was happening.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis