World's most powerful - and cheapest - headphone amplifier.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I was doing a search for stereo amps on Amazon and this little gem popped up.

A quick example of specsmanship at it's best. Still, 15 watts? I wonder what the full specs are?

Oh, it works off of 12 volts it seems.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I was doing a search for stereo amps on Amazon and this little gem popped up.

A quick example of specsmanship at it's best. Still, 15 watts? I wonder what the full specs are?

Oh, it works off of 12 volts it seems.
The specs are bogus. It might give 15 watt rms into a 4 ohm load but I doubt it. It is more likely 5 to 7 watts. The maximum theoretical peak to peak voltage can not be higher than the power supply voltage, unless you use an inverter, and that unit is too small and cheap to have one. So the theoretical maximum peak power into four ohms is 50 watts, however in a practical circuit it will be in the 20 to 30 watt range.

I don't know how they are allowed to get away with that kind of deception.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I thought that capacitors are used to achieve those higher peak dynamic power levels. Are they not?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I thought that capacitors are used to achieve those higher peak dynamic power levels. Are they not?
A cap can NOT increase voltage. All a capacitor can do is hold charge and prolong the duration of peak power. They can not increase the power available, only the energy.

The only way to increase power into a given load is by increasing the voltage. That is why the voltage available to an output stage determines the maximum power theoretically available at a given impedance. Maximum theoretical power can be calculated from the square of the voltage divided by the load resistance/impedance. It can NEVER be higher than that, and in practical circuits is always less.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis