World's Largest LCD

S

soniceuphoria

Audioholic
82" of LCD please excuse the drood and the tent pitching down below. I know what my next purchase will be, after I rob a few banks first. Anyone got a gun and a ski mask I can borrow, I'll get you one too. LOL
Greg

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Vaporware is always fun to look at. How long until a consumer can buy one... 10 years?

Nothing is more fun, or less fun, than looking at prototype products at trade shows and then realizing that they won't be available for.. well, ever. The Westinghouse 45" LCD was supposed to be out LAST year and was going to be several thousand less than the new Sharp. It hasn't made it to the market at all. More than a YEAR behind schedule. WTF!

NEC says they will have a sandwiched 80" LCD available this year for purchase. That is, 4 40" LCDs in a single box with a processor.

HookedOnSound

HookedOnSound

Full Audioholic
LCD resolution

Dumb question...What kind of resolution do you get with a screen that big (82 inch)?

Big is good but if the pixel distance/size is also large, I can't believe the picture quality being very good at close proximity.

Can someone reply to my question?

Thanks,

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
HookedOnSound said:
Dumb question...What kind of resolution do you get with a screen that big (82 inch)?

Big is good but if the pixel distance/size is also large, I can't believe the picture quality being very good at close proximity.

Can someone reply to my question?

Thanks,
My guess is that since their current 46" screen is 1920 x 1080P that this one would be the same. But who knows for sure. :confused: Since most DLP projectors are only 1280 x 720 and they project up to 120" screens sizes that look terrific this one should look fine with a 1920 x 1080 image.

N

no man

Audioholic
Clint DeBoer said:
Don't read too much into this. It just means LG will have an 83" out in about 6 months. :)
wow...imagine Halo 3 ( :D coming out next spring :D ) on that....wow....BEAM SWORD lol

but looking at this from ReAlItIeS's perspective...who really need an 83" tv, let alone put it up, but it would be awesome.

av-man

av-man

Audioholic
I'm not on the LCD bandwagon. Its pretty pathetic for a company to manufacture a product and the tell you your warranty is no good until a certain # of pixels have burned out. Aside from that, LCD has more space between their pixels so the larger the display(regardless of resolution) the worse the "screen door effect" will be. I'll stick with Plasma and DLP with everything larger tha 30 or 40 inches.

N

no man

Audioholic
You bring up a good point (about the pixles buring out) but plasma tv's can also burn out. Although they do have a much better resolution/picture quality, i dont know why they even bother to make an 83'' lcd...plasmas are far better and last longer...i guess its for people who want a cheap large tv just to show off...if you want a large tv, my advice is to spend that extra however much and get a plama instead of a lcd.

Halo 3 would be way awesome on a plasma. Comparing Halo 3 on plasma to Halo 3 on lcd...Lcd is crap...total utter crap

N

no man

Audioholic
will they ever find a thin tv that doesn't burn out, and that is bright even when in direct sunlight?? probably but it'll take a hell of a long time (more than one year...)

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
This was the part I found most interesting.

It earned $7.84 billion in revenue from its LCD operations last year.
THAT WAS 1 YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And only in LCD. What about all the other stuff...

Now think about the cost when that 82" comes out.. Something like a stupid figure of 35,000.00 or even 25K.

Honestly, it could be sold for 5,000 and still have a good profit...

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Clint DeBoer said:
Don't read too much into this. It just means LG will have an 83" out in about 6 months. :)
LG's may be a more respectable price at 20K -25K. OOH I'll run out and buy 10...
BTW Clint no disrespect, just being a smart butt :p

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
j_garcia said:
Um, so I guess that means you guys haven't seen the press releases about the 102" LCD from Samsung? :D
Actually that 102" Plasma for $$$$???? Not LCD.
And the 80" was 45,000.00

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
Crap, I don't even have a house big enough for those. :(

N

no man

Audioholic
just tear down part of a wall and watch it in two rooms :confused: :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Doh. Sorry. I was sure there was a 102" LCD as well. I read the article on Yahoo news, I'll have to dig it up, but it looks like it is that plasma. The fact that there is a glass size that big though, means an LCD that big is possible too.

N

no man

Audioholic
i'm not really into lcd's or plasmas, i have no idea what dpl is, someone care to show me the light?

soon there are going to be rear projection tv's that use lazers, for more detail than i care to write about, pick up the august popular science magazine, the tvs'll use lazers to project the exact amount of colour, you know red blue 'n' green, and it'll be brigter than normal projection tv's, they're still trying to find a way to cool it so that it doesnt fry itself out.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis