World's Best (non-commercial) Subwoofer

S

SubAHolic

Audioholic Intern
Admins: please delete this post if this has been asked already.

Which subwoofer you guys think is THE BEST subwoofer in the world considering there is no price limitation/cap? Looking for your comments/thoughts. Commercial subwoofers (ones used in concerts etc) should be excluded from this discussion.

Please list subwoofer brand, model and approximate price for the subwoofer you think is the world's best subwoofer.

Thanks!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yes it has been asked and that user was banned if I am not mistaken...lol. What you're asking basically has no real answer IMO.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
'Commercial' means something which can be bought. You seem to mean 'home audio' subwoofers, as opposed to pro-audio or live audio subwoofers. There is no answer unless you provide more specific criteria. One beast which would be way up on the list of anyone's highest performing subs would be a Funk 18.2 Power Level 2, but that is an $11k subwoofer.

S

SubAHolic

Audioholic Intern
'Commercial' means something which can be bought. You seem to mean 'home audio' subwoofers, as opposed to pro-audio or live audio subwoofers. There is no answer unless you provide more specific criteria. One beast which would be way up on the list of anyone's highest performing subs would be a Funk 18.2 Power Level 2, but that is an $11k subwoofer.
Thank you for your post. Yes, I should have used 'Home Audio' as a qualifier vs 'commercial'. By commercial I did mean to exclude Pro Audio and commercial applications such as commercial movie theaters (AMC, Regal Cinemas etc), concert equipment etc.

Admins: if this is indeed a topic not worth the discussion then please delete this thread and accept my apologies.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
JBL 4641, for those with a means to properly manage and power it, realizes what most folks seek from a sub. The actual speaker (2241H), less the enclosure, is usually associated with custom home installations. With enclosure, this sub is marketed by JBL Professional for cinema installations. So, for this thread, let us consider just the speaker itself not to disqualify it LOL. BTW, at one time JBL did market this speaker with a beautifully sculptured walnut veneer ported enclosure as the B460. The idea was to extend the low end of the JBL L100 Century. I could not afford this sub, but I did get the baby version of it, the B380. As I understand it I got the last one. As I recall, I purchased it back in 1987 from a audio store in Pikeville, Ky.

Last edited:
B

Basshead81

Audioholic
I would think Funk 18.2 or JTR Captivator S2 would be up among the top contenders.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis