M

mayho

Enthusiast
a friend of mine has a velodyne Valzbvx10 subwoofer. He wants to know can he replace the woofer (kid damage),, if so with what?? Thanks

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'd have him contact Velodyne and get the driver they recommend (which will end up being the same one I'm sure).

T

tubesaregood

Audioholic
Or he can just buy any woofer of equal size, provided it's built for the cabinet and can handle the wattage. Things to consider are sealed or ported cab, power handling, Vas, Fs, etc.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
you really think that's easier?

tubesaregood said:
Or he can just buy any woofer of equal size, provided it's built for the cabinet and can handle the wattage. Things to consider are sealed or ported cab, power handling, Vas, Fs, etc.
Well, you've just desceribed the exact same woofer he has now, which he most likely can order from Velodyne.

But, assuming he chose to forgo ordering from Velodyne. Where would be get the needed specs for the driver? Ask Velodyne? ...or do they print this info on the box?

T

tubesaregood

Audioholic
If Velodyne doesn't already have that info readily available on the website, there should be no reason why he can't call and get the T-S on that sucker. On top of that, he doesn't need to find the T-S of the Velodyne woofer - just the one he would want to replace it with.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Um, no....you can't just slap any old driver in there and expect it to work well. That box and amp were designed to work with that driver, so one that at least has similar specs should be used or the results will be entirely unpredictable.

T

tubesaregood

Audioholic
j_garcia said:
Um, no....you can't just slap any old driver in there and expect it to work well. That box and amp were designed to work with that driver, so one that at least has similar specs should be used or the results will be entirely unpredictable.
You're making it sound like if he puts a woofer in there that's just a little off from the original the box will implode, the amp will catch fire, planes will fall out of the sky and the earth will become overtaken with volcanic lava flows. At any rate, I recommended that he FIND A WOOFER SUITABLE FOR THAT BOX/AMP SITUATION if he doesn't care to get a Velodyne replacement. Plz read b4 you speak thx. :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I realize from your previous post that you at least have an idea of what you are talking about, while at the same time you are saying that practically anything driver work, so I wanted to clarify that a bit, because a random driver may NOT work well (don't twist my words). Please think before you speak.

annunaki

annunaki

Actually, as long as the replacement woofer will work within the enclosure volume and amplifier's power output it should be fine. You would need the enclosure volume and amplifier's continuous power to start your quest. Then it is a matter of finding a subwoofer, running the T/S parameters through a program to verify decent response within the given volume. It really is not that hard. Though calling Velodyne and ordering the new woofer is much easier.

T

tubesaregood

Audioholic
annunaki said:
Actually, as long as the replacement woofer will work within the enclosure volume and amplifier's power output it should be fine. You would need the enclosure volume and amplifier's continuous power to start your quest. Then it is a matter of finding a subwoofer, running the T/S parameters through a program to verify decent response within the given volume. It really is not that hard. Though calling Velodyne and ordering the new woofer is much easier.
Thanks for the backup.

The only way it would get real hard to find a good driver would be if the sub were down-firing or horn loaded or some such.

And you know, I was simply trying to say that one COULD replace a driver in a powered sub with a non-original one. I'm not necessarily suggesting it - contacting Velodyne or getting a non-Velodyne, compatible woofer are two equally good options. For the sake of ease and convenience, I'd recommend going for another Velodyne (although I'd guess it could be more costly to go that route), but it is CERTAINLY possible to find several different woofers that will work perfectly with that cab and amp. A tenth of a cubic foot on the Vas or handling 200 watts RMS instead of 250 makes surprisingly little difference in the long run. That's why you can buy pre-fab speaker boxes and stick woofers in them for your car. There IS a margin of error that is perfectly acceptable. Hell, the amplifier in that sub can probably run "well" on anywhere between 110 and 125 volts.

:cool:

M

mayho

Enthusiast
I have advised my friend to contact velodyne. Thanks for the help....again!!!Mayho

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis