wondering about receiver quality.

J

jayleaf

Audioholic Intern
i'm having some trouble with my Denon avr 3808ci receiver and i'm thinking i might have to get it repaired at some point. it keeps shutting off so i'm figuring it's overheating. the thing is i spent a lot of money on it when it first came out so it's a few years old and has performed well. i'm wondering however, if maybe it isn't time to get a new receiver that can handle 3D and other features my current one doesn't have. what i would like to know specifically is, will i lose a lot of audio quality if i go with a less expensive model. i live in an apartment so i do need to shake the walls, although i do like some volume when watching movies. i just don't have the money to spend on an expensive receiver these days.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
You probably won't lose any audio quality but unless you're itching for some newer features your receiver lacks, you might consider getting an estimate on what it would take to get it fixed.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Just in case, double check all your speaker connections.
It's possible a loose connection has built up resistance, or possibly a wire whisker is shorting at the receiver end or at the speakers. Even pets chewing on wires could cause problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jayleaf

Audioholic Intern
You probably won't lose any audio quality but unless you're itching for some newer features your receiver lacks, you might consider getting an estimate on what it would take to get it fixed.
i will look into getting it repaired for sure. just considering the other option at this point. i wouldn't mind upgrading in features if i'm not losing audio quality as a trade off.

J

jayleaf

Audioholic Intern
i'll double check the connections again. i didn't think of checking the connections at the speakers. thanks for the tip.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
i will look into getting it repaired for sure. just considering the other option at this point. i wouldn't mind upgrading in features if i'm not losing audio quality as a trade off.
The amplifiers in all modern receivers have very flat frequency response and inaudible distortion. In other words they all sound the same unprocessed. The processors can produce different sounds but there isn't anyway to consider that in advance without hearing them play. Sound quality is the last thing to worry about in a receiver.

3zones

Enthusiast
Take a look at the article on this site that presents discussion about a blind test of receiver classes and types. Basically people, even golden ears, can't tell the difference. That unit is a heck of an avr. Does it have adequate air space to allow air to flow? The equivalent 'new' version of that is going to be expensive.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis