Wiring receiver + amp together

S

shud1

Audiophyte
Okay, here's the situation. This summer I'm living with a guy who found these old Technics 3 way (12" woofer) speakers and a bunch of equipment at his house. We have a huge first floor and are thusly going to be having quite a few parties on the weekends (we also have central air).

I have the following:

Pioneer VSX-D 711 receiver w/ 2 Pioneer slim towers & 8" Onkyo powered woofer (surround speakers negligible, we want loud music and good bass in multiple rooms)

This particular receiver does have pre-outs on the back of it. What would be the best way to go here? I can think of the following setups (his two speakers will be in the main room, mine & the sub will be in the TV room for movie purposes):

1. Stereo-Surround. I know this will not sound the best but is probably easiest. Also might start an electrical fire.
2. Speaker A&B setup. I have yet to be able to get the B channel fronts to make any reasonable amount of sound whatsoever on the AB stereo setting.
3. My receiver/speakers + his amp/speakers. This seems like the most professional way but I've never messed around with pre-outs and wiring stuff like that.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: I've attached the front speakers pre-out on my receiver to the "main in" RCAs on his amp. The sound carries over, the only problem is that I cannot get the control for the amp to work. Nothing I change on his amp's settings has any effect on his speakers.

Last edited:
Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Need more info

What is his amps make, model, and approximate age?

If your receiver is a 5.1, why not run the Technics 12" 3 ways off the Pioneer's 4th and 5th channel in a different room on a 5 channel stereo setting? I'm betting the Technics speakers have an spl of around 98db, which means they'll play loud with just about any type of amp or receiver.

S

shud1

Audiophyte
Buckeyefan 1 said:
What is his amps make, model, and approximate age?

If your receiver is a 5.1, why not run the Technics 12" 3 ways off the Pioneer's 4th and 5th channel in a different room on a 5 channel stereo setting? I'm betting the Technics speakers have an spl of around 98db, which means they'll play loud with just about any type of amp or receiver.
His amp's make is Technics (must have been a set or something), probably 20 years old (manual equalizer, not graphic). I tried what you suggested already, and they really don't play that loudly, especially with the sub hooked up. I mean, it's ok, but I really want them to be louder and have their own volume control.

EDIT: Here's his amp.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=94899&item=5774926567&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis