Wiring help - ran into a roadblock!

cgk

cgk

Junior Audioholic
I've started doing a retrofit installation in my family room. Since my house is on a concrete slab, I've taken down the crown molding to run the wires up there. Next step is fishing wires up and down. I cut the hole at the top and at the bottom and tried fishing... yikes! There is a stud running horizontally blocking the way! I tried fishing over and over again and I cannot find a passage through. (I have metal studs and half-inch drywall)

From reading around on the Internet, it looks like I have two options.

1. Get a long, flexible drill bit and make holes.

Advantage: no repair to drywall needed.

Disadvantage: Since this is the run up from my receiver, there will be a lot of holes to drill and I'm not sure I can fish an HDMI connector through any hole that I would be able to drill.

2. Cut a hole in the drywall near the stud so I can, in front of my eyes, make a really big hole to run everything through.

Advantages: more straightforward to do. I don't need to spend ~$50 on a new special use tool.

Disadvantage: I'll need to patch the drywall. (We're planning on repainting the room anyway).

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience in this situation? I'd appreciate any wisdom at all since I'm now stalled on getting it done.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Hi cgk, since you're going to paint anyway, I'd cut a nice hole in the drywall.
Sometime the fire blocking (that's what you're hitting) is wood a 2x4, yes even with metal studs.
Or it's a piece of metal stud.
Then try to trim enough of the blocking out, to accommodate all the wires you need to run.
It would also be nice to run some flexible conduit in there too. Just for future wiring.
Also, before you patch the drywall, I'd seal the hole you cut in the stud with a spray foam insulation, or a fire proof insulation. Just to maintain the integrity of the fire block.
good luck,
Rick

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Down in Coral Gables they refer to that fire stop as a fire cat and it's going to be metal. You'll never get a flexible drill bit through it and even if you did, any wires that you pulled through would get all nicked up. Make a big enough hole in the wall to be able to get the cat out completely.

Patching the wall may require giving the entire wall a skim coat as you probably have an orange peel finish that you will never match. You don't sound like you're scared of drywall repair. :) I know, it's not the same as being in love with it. :D

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis