Wiring for Sound in Large Room

aeriform

aeriform

Audiophyte
I am doing a basement renovation after purchasing a new home and am in the process of wiring the basement rooms in addition to putting in a raceway for the upper floor that is a 14 ft by 30 ft entertainment room. Because the upper room that I would like to wire for audio is 30 ft long, I expect the cabling to be about 40 to 45 feet from source to rear speakers.

I'm wondering what the best choice would be for wiring to ensure I don't have noise/hum through the longer lines? My current sets of speakers are a mix of Panasonic and Realistic which all have bare wires and are unbalanced, but I can see myself getting at least one new pair of speakers in the next 5 years.

Would running coaxial with RCA connections, be my best choice to reduce noise/hum and have some ease of use? If I'd like to install balanced speakers in the future what line and end connection would be better to use?

Gimpy Ric

Gimpy Ric

When I built in Florida, I wired my whole house, with speaker runs as long as yours. Use 12-14 gauge speaker wire an you'll be fine. I had no problems at all.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis