Wiring Bose 3-2-1 GS speakers with a Yamaha A/V Receiver

W

wjw6578

Audiophyte
Does anyone know how wire this equipment? My brother-in-law gave me the Bose 3-2-1 speakers as a present - and I've heard them in a store and liked the sound. But the back of the speaker has 4 copper pins to connect to the 3-2-1 Subwoofer module. Should I buy the wiring cable from Bose and cut off the end going into the sub, or are there other options? Can this be done at all or are these speakers only to be used with the rest of the 3-2-1 system. Any help on this problem is much appreciated!

P

Privateer

Full Audioholic
My brother-in-law gave me the Bose 3-2-1 speakers as a present
As long as they were free otherwise we might have to kill you.

Can this be done at all or are these speakers only to be used with the rest of the 3-2-1 system.
I think that is the general idea.

W

wjw6578

Audiophyte
Privateer - must be nice to think you know everything. I didn't appreciate your attempt at humor ("might have to kill you") and your smart attitude ("that's the general idea"). No thanks to you, but as luck would have it, I found adapters for what I want to do at 4electronicwarehouse.com - had I listened to you, I might have given up. Granted, the 3-2-1 speakers might not be everyone's choice, but I thought the spirit of this bulletin board was to help people. Have to say, you were no help at all. Have a great life and good luck, with your know it all attitude, you're going to need it.

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
wjw6578:

I see you're a new poster. I'd hope Privateer's words don't steer you from the forum. He rarely has anything worthwhile to add to the discussions. We welcome you to the audioholics community and want you to know that most of us here are more than willing to help as your interest and involvement in audio/video deepens!

As it happens, very few of the members here would consider buying anything from Bose, so our knowledge about the specific products are limited. Technical questions, compatibility questions, or questions about just about anything else home theater or otherwise someone will be able to help with.

Glad to see you were able to fix your problem

Nick

W

wjw6578

Audiophyte
Thanks for the kind words....

Nick, appreciate your honesty and support even if you don't have or like Bose. And yes, I am new to this forum. I am going to use the Bose for now (have another system Yamaha RX-V1000, Bose double cubes, Velodyne sub, Panasonic 32" Tau HD ready. Just got DishNetwork but do not have HD receiver yet. I do like the Bose cubes for this system which is in my living room, have them mounted on the ceiling which is nice. Currently redoing my basement and am considering going with a 56" Panny DLP HD built in. Eventually, will look to upgrade the Bose speakers - have a friend who has Canton speakers and really liked them? What do you know about Canton? And what's your opinion on the DLP? Seems like a great picture (and big size) for the money.... your thoughts? Thanks again for the note!

Charlie

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Well, now's the time to start planning your upgrade for your other room. Throw out a budget and the importance of the WAF (wife acceptance factor) and we should be able to help you out.

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
wjw6578 said:
What do you know about Canton? And what's your opinion on the DLP? Seems like a great picture (and big size) for the money.... your thoughts?
You're welcome. Although I have never heard Canton, they are a widely respected brand that have been reviewed well and seem to have excellent build quality. As for DLP, most/all of the current display technologies have the ability to offer great picture. I recently searched for smaller CRTs (27") and DLP, LCD projection, PLasma, and LCD from 37"-50". I think you have to take it on a set by set basis. LCD projection and DLP are both very tempting due to their reduced size (when compared to CRT) and reduced price tag (when compared to flat panels).

Sounds like you have quite a bit planned! Let us know whenever you have questions.

Resident Loser

Resident Loser

Senior Audioholic
Take a deep breath now...

...count to 10...

Those speaker units are really designed to be used with Bose's Acoustimass module in the 3-2-1 system...the Acoustimass produces more bass frequency content than a typical sub does and passes a more limited bandwidth to the "sats"...IMO, using the speakers by themselves(with no lo-freq cutoff) is a definite no-no...they most likely will not tolerate too much lo-freq input, they may fry or the drivers might simply excede their excursion parameters...and using them with a typical sub may leave a big gap between the crossover points resulting in a big hole in the FR...

They make those proprietary cables to discourage situations that could cause damage to the gear involved and not(as some may think) simply to thwart aftermarket, non-Bose connectivity.

jimHJJ(...just my two cents...)

W

wjw6578

Audiophyte
Planning your upgrade..

jaxvon said:
Well, now's the time to start planning your upgrade for your other room. Throw out a budget and the importance of the WAF (wife acceptance factor) and we should be able to help you out.
WAF is in the stratosphere - she's the one that suggested doing the cave in the first place!!! Budget, that's another thing. I'm thinking of making the DLP the centerpiece and spending between 2-3K. Probably will get an inexpensive A/V receiver, 3-500 for now, and sticking with the Bose for now. Eventually will upgrade the receiver and speakers later - just can't do everything all at once. Will likely get a HD upgradable DVD player right away, have heard that they are about a buck fifty. Am seriously considering for the DLP, either a Panny PT-56DLX75 or a Toshiba 52HMX84, right now leaning towards the Panny. Currently have a 32" Panny HD ready CRT and not only like it alot, but have had very good luck with it. Interested in hearing your thoughts, ideas, suggestions! Thanks!!!

W

wjw6578

Audiophyte
Count to 10...

Resident Loser said:
...count to 10...

Those speaker units are really designed to be used with Bose's Acoustimass module in the 3-2-1 system...the Acoustimass produces more bass frequency content than a typical sub does and passes a more limited bandwidth to the "sats"...IMO, using the speakers by themselves(with no lo-freq cutoff) is a definite no-no...they most likely will not tolerate too much lo-freq input, they may fry or the drivers might simply excede their excursion parameters...and using them with a typical sub may leave a big gap between the crossover points resulting in a big hole in the FR...

They make those proprietary cables to discourage situations that could cause damage to the gear involved and not(as some may think) simply to thwart aftermarket, non-Bose connectivity.

jimHJJ(...just my two cents...)

Resident Loser - no need to count to 10. The tone of your post came thru loud and clear that you're trying to be helpful. All good points, especially about the proprietary cables.... that all said, I have been using Bose double cubes, a Velodyne sub and a Yamaha receiver for 3 years or so with no problems ("may fry the drivers"). Your point about there being a gap between the crossover points is well taken - but probably something I'm not noticing. Proof will be when I upgrade the Bose to Canton or something else down the road. Thanks again for the post and your help (it's all in the tone and how the info comes across).

zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
With all due respect, R-Loser has a point. While you may have been using cubes for a few years w/o incident, these 321 "speakers" are, supposedly, very susceptible to being overpowered. You may wish to do some reseach @ the Bose website to check on that. Also, I read somewhere that on some of the Bose systems the rears(or cubes) are only rated @ 1 ohm. That is very dangerous for your receiver if you start pumping some juice to them.

Might want to check on that just to be sure.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis