'wireless' surround question

F

foobagger

Audiophyte
I see several brands of wireless ethernet transmitter/receivers for connecting surround speakers. But wireless has issues that I want to avoid.

Question: does anyone make wired ethernet transmitter/receivers for connecting surround speakers. I have Netgear powerline adapters that will provide over 100Mbps ethernet on any wall with an electrical outlet, but can't find an audio transceiver solution designed for this. It's so obvious a solution that I know it must have been done somewhere.

Any tips appreciated. It's cold outside now and I don't want to be crawling under my new house slinging conduit and speaker cable. And my wife doesn't want me to gouge any holes in her new walls and baseboards. Apologies if this is the wrong forum to ask.

E

Exit

Audioholic Chief
I think you are asking your question in the right place. Just Google "wireless surround sound system" or "wireless surround sound speakers" and you should find many systems and speakers.

Here is a CNET overview of wireless surround sound

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-7612_7-5109926-4.html

As they note your signal may be wireless, but you still have a power cord hanging down from each wireless speaker.

It used to be wireless surrounds were significantly below hard wired surround quality, or were prohibitively expensive for quality solutions (i.e. KEF). Things may have changed in the last couple of years, so you would have to search and find out if there are products that meet your needs.

The surrounds are generally small speakers that don't produce much bass, and most of their input is ambient sound that doesn't demand a top-notch speaker, although their are expensive surround speakers available if you want them.

Last edited:
F

foobagger

Audiophyte
wired ethernet speakers

Apologies that my post wasn't clear. I have researched wireless speakers and I don't want them.

I want wired speakers that use transcievers connected to ethernet Cat5 cable to communicate, rather than wireless. (I have Cat5 connectivity all around the house, just no speaker wire connections.)

So far, I haven't found any mention of such a thing online, so maybe it is not possible and I just don't understand the technology. But I hoped someone here might know something one way or the other. Thanks.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
There is a wiring system that uses CAT5 to do this, but there are converters on either end so you would not be using a network type device to to this, you would simply be using their adapters. I do believe this is for signal level though, not speaker level amplified audio, so I presume you mean to pass the signal and then amplify it?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis