Wireless Rear Speakers. Avoid?

Joe

Joe

Enthusiast
I would like to add rear speakers to my 3.2 setup but I would prefer not to run speaker cables through my walls and across my rather large oddly shaped living room. I was informed about a relatively inexpensive wireless speaker kit for converting wired speakers to wireless. Would anyone currently have a setup similar to this or experienced one prior? Should I avoid wireless altogether?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
If you don't care about the sound quality at all, they are fine.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I would like to add rear speakers to my 3.2 setup but I would prefer not to run speaker cables through my walls and across my rather large oddly shaped living room. I was informed about a relatively inexpensive wireless speaker kit for converting wired speakers to wireless. Would anyone currently have a setup similar to this or experienced one prior? Should I avoid wireless altogether?
Every time this comes up, I always ask the same question, just to be sure people have thought about it:

Do you realize that wireless speakers are still wired?

They now need a power cord.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
What speakers are you using now for the front?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
There are mixed reviews on this type of setup. Expensive ones can cost
$250 and above. The cheaper ones $100 or less. You still need a rear amp
and transmitter, and need to receive signals from your regular receiver - if
you want to convert wired speakers to wireless. The more money you spend,
then the better it may be. Do a search on Amazon for Kenwood RF-U6100,
Acoustic Research ARW20, JBL WEM-1, Rocketfish R-WHTIB

Last edited:
Hicks

Hicks

Audioholic
Wireless speaker technology, while still requiring AC cords, has advanced quite a bit in the last couple of years.

The latest generation of wireless products sound light years better than what was available as recently as three or four years ago, at least in my admittedly biased (so to speak :D ) opinion.

jp_over

jp_over

Full Audioholic
I'm particularly interested in the Aperion wireless system as well. The bi-amplification is particularly refreshing to see.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
The Aperion 4t Summit Wireless 5.1 system looks really promising. Hopefully AH will review this. Some cool technology going on with that system for sure, and priced fair to boot. Wish you success with this product line.

http://www.aperionaudio.com/product/Aperion-Intimus-4T-Summit-Wireless-51-System,257,88,788.aspx
When I first saw that, I thought it was a great idea, but unfortunately every speaker needs to be plugged into an outlet. That's a deal breaker for me.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis