Wireless Home Theater

A

AUDIOPHILE34

Enthusiast
Is there such a thing as a wireless 5.1/7.1 HTIB or custom speaker set-up? If so, could anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance for your input.

Phil Taylor

Phil Taylor

Senior Audioholic
I'm not aware of any that are totally wireless. Some have rear wire-"less" speakers and add-on adapter kits but not a full 5.1 or 7.1 that I know of to date, But I could be wrong ... it's happened before ... :eek:

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Sony used to make one but not sure they still do.

Wireless systems are not very good and you end up with almost the same amout of wires as a "wired" system. A wireless system require an AC cord to each amp and speaker wires to eachother so you really just lose the wires going from the front (or where ever your AVR is) to the rear or sides.

Hiding wire is pretty simple and you end up with a much better set up.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks guys. What's the best way to hide wires?
There are a lot of different ways to hide wire but it all depends on a few things.
1) do you own or do you rent, this will determine what you can or can't do when trying to hide wire.

2) if you own your options are limitless to what you can do such as run wire through walls,behind baseboards,through the attic, under the floor.

3)if you rent most owners frown upon renters putting holes in the walls,but you still have options like using flat raceways or using flatwire which is paintable but its pricey.

Last edited:
E

Exit

Audioholic Chief
A friend at work told me Home Depot has a few types of channels that cover the wire and can be painted to match the wall. He said some have adhesive on the back. He used it to run the HDMI and power cord wires up the wall to his flat screen and was happy with the outcome.

Phil Taylor

Phil Taylor

Senior Audioholic
If your room is carpeted it's fairly easy to slide the wire between the carpet and the baseboard - as long as you don't use some humongous gauge wire.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Anyone know where I can get cheap flatwire?
I can't say it's cheap, but I bought and installed Gecko Cable flat speaker wire and was quite happy with it. I did a little write up here. Their website isn't working well at the moment, but you can find their products at other places.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Seriously - do you own or rent?

There's no reason to run wire UP a wall! Just buy a stud sensor and cut a hole in your wall and use a bullnose cover to make a clean entry into and out of the wall. Into the wall from your equipment location, out of the wall behind the display.

Surface mount raceway is pretty clean, as is tucking the wire behind the carpet and baseboards. But, if you own and are staying, then seriously considering making the hard to run pathways by opening some walls, spackling, and repainting is well worth it for wiring which will be in place for the next 30 years.

D

daiva

Audiophyte
If you own property dont be to cheap if you plan on sticking around you will not want molding if you can help it the home depot molding will run you around 10$ for 5 ft if you are planning to do a decent size room you can see how the molding could add up also if this is a temp fix try leaving cable long enough to pull through walls at a later time. Also if you do pull through walls get good cable that way you do not have to repeat this:eek:

D

daiva

Audiophyte
also if you do use molding i would screw it in using 1/2 " drywall screws this will ensure it will last the adhesive will not always stick well or forever.

Shock

Shock

Audioholic General
If your room is carpeted it's fairly easy to slide the wire between the carpet and the baseboard - as long as you don't use some humongous gauge wire.
This is the easiest and best way to do it, if your room is already fully finished.

All it takes is a butter knife, and a little time.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis