cbecker33

cbecker33

Audioholic
I am looking for a way to use my computer as an electronic jukebox. What I would like to do is set up some sort of wireless broadcaster/receiver setup (preferable with remote) so that I can broadcast my mp3's from my computer to my different stereos (2).

Is this possible?

I do not want to use some kind of FM transmiter (for obvious sound quality issues).

Thanks for your help,

Chris

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
There are many products on the market now to do this.

Audiotron - oldest and no longer available (find one on ebay). No built-in wireless, but can work wirelessly if you also buy a wireless bridge.

Squeezebox - wired or wireless. IMO the best one out there. $250

Netgear MP101 - Wireless only. About $100.
Many others, I can't think of off the top of my head...

Google 'wireless mp3' as a starting point.

J

jotham

Audioholic
slim devices

This may accomplish your objectives.
www.slimdevices.com

It uses a wireless network to establish the connections. It has a good reputation with a lot of flexibility.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
There's also the option of Sonos. AH just did a review of the product, check it out. Though it might be a little more expensive than what you're looking to lay out.

S

Sleestack

Senior Audioholic
I use Rokus all over my house. Great product, great design.

cbecker33

cbecker33

Audioholic
Wow, great responses.

Can't find the Audiortron.

The squeezebox2 is a little pricey for two........

The netgear only has stereo out........

The apple is similar to the netgear.........

The Roku is a possibility, bt it has no video outs (is quality video even possible with this technology?)

The Sonos looks to be geared for a total wireless sound system......

I'm gonna keep looking...anybody else have any ideas?

thanks,
chris

J

jotham

Audioholic
Wireless audio or media?

I'm sure you've guessed this, but some of the media adapters such as the d-link require a video output such as a tv in order to choose your music. The advantage of the Roku and the Squeezebox is that they have a built-in display, the Squeezebox has an 802.11g network making lossless audio much easier.

If I wanted to stream video or pictures, I would definitely consider the d-link. However, I'm going to use the Squeezebox to stream music to my multiple music systems as well as my home theater. Thus, I need the built-in display.

cbecker33

cbecker33

Audioholic
I think I will buy the d-link and get both the video and audio to my HT system, and then look for another option for my bedroom stereo.

Chris

The d-link is also 802.11g, but yes, you do need a display device.

N

newfmp3

Audioholic
get a mod'd xbox, and place xbox media center on it. Stream whatever you want ( video/audio compatibility is unmatched by anything else) via wireless or lan.

You can get a digital display for the xbox case as well.

done :)

Although, I like the dlink one at least from a specs point of view.

sleepysurf

sleepysurf

Junior Audioholic
One advantage of the SlimServer/Squeezebox2 approach is that it offers multi-room streaming (e.g. whole house audio), with simultaneous or unique playlists. The SB2 has a small built-in amp, so it can just be used to feed powered speakers in a secondary location. I've ordered a second unit for my master bedroom.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis