WinISD help / Dayton Audio Speakers

BBHT

BBHT

Junior Audioholic
Hi all.

I am dipping my toes into DIY subwoofer build. I downloaded winISD, and put in the info for the Dayton Audio MX15-22. The info was sourced from Parts-Express (where I hope to buy them).
However, when I try to load the driver into a new project, it says the Driver Data Fails Integrity Checks. I double checked the values I put in, and it's all correct?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Hi all.

I am dipping my toes into DIY subwoofer build. I downloaded winISD, and put in the info for the Dayton Audio MX15-22. The info was sourced from Parts-Express (where I hope to buy them).
However, when I try to load the driver into a new project, it says the Driver Data Fails Integrity Checks. I double checked the values I put in, and it's all correct?

Did you confirm that the units of measurement matched the settings in WinISD?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Hi all.

Parts-Express usually supply details of cabinet dimensions for sealed and/or vented enclosures which are recommended for the Dayton drivers that they sell. If I were you, I would just follow what they suggest.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Might post up the T/S parameters you used. Screen shot of winisd perhaps?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi all.

I agree with winISD, the T/S parameters do not entirely jive. However I can make celebrated guesses enough to get a model. I can tell that driver is very nasty indeed, and one you need to walk in other direction from fast. It is from a line of car drivers, which actually are very different from home drivers.
It is a classic thumber driver for the unwashed. It is actually only suitable for sealed application and produces a phenomenal thumper peak. Do not waste your money on that piece of junk.

BBHT

BBHT

Junior Audioholic
@lovinthehd screenshots of the parameters of the driver in WinISD

@TLS Guy Thanks for the feedback. I looked at this driver cuz I saw a couple of builds online for it (one from toid's DIY page). But if it is junk, then I can just use the data to learn winISD. I'll load in the UM15, and RSS390HE when I have time.

Attachments

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Driver selection is where designing any good speaker starts. It is one of the most onerous parts of the process.
Below is a sub I recently designed for a member. It models very well and should be a good performer.

Attachments

BBHT

BBHT

Junior Audioholic
Thank you for the sub design.

I had a thread in another section of the forum, and members recommended a 15 or 18 inch driver for my space. 18 is too large (and expensive to ship vs 15). The area is open plan, so the total volume is about 5000 cubic feet.
The proposed drivers are Dayton UM18-22, RSS 390HO or RSS 460HO.

The spaces I have for 2 x subwoofers is about 55cm high (58cm max with feet and glass top), 80cm deep and 60cm wide (per box), so this is where I think a 15 would work?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thank you for the sub design.

I had a thread in another section of the forum, and members recommended a 15 or 18 inch driver for my space. 18 is too large (and expensive to ship vs 15). The area is open plan, so the total volume is about 5000 cubic feet.
The proposed drivers are Dayton UM18-22, RSS 390HO or RSS 460HO.

The spaces I have for 2 x subwoofers is about 55cm high (58cm max with feet and glass top), 80cm deep and 60cm wide (per box), so this is where I think a 15 would work?
Don't get hung up on the size of the driver. That design couples the driver to the box very well. Anyhow two of those would outperform one 15" any day. I use four 10" drivers in my room and they shake the floor and seats. The UM series are really for sealed application and take a huge amount of power and Eq.

The drivers I have selected make for a much better designs then any of those drivers. The RSS 390HO only achieves an F3 of 33 Hz, so not really suitable.
Unfortunately Dayton changed the design of the RSS 460 HO. I did a design for the original driver, and a number of members built them, and it was an absolute killer sub. The I find that they did a redesign and the T/S parameters changed significantly. They really mucked the driver up, and I can not recommend it.

I must apologize, I linked the wrong sub design on my above post. The designs were one above the other and I clicked on the wrong file. Here is the design I should have sent you. I have also added another design from my file. So you now have designs for a 12" and a 15" unit. The 12" will produce 109 db. at 20 Hz, and the 15" 111 db. at 20 Hz. Both have very nice FRs and will be excellent subs.

Attachments

Last edited:
BBHT

BBHT

Junior Audioholic
Don't get hung up on the size of the driver. That design couples the driver to the box very well. Anyhow two of those would outperform one 15" any day. I use four 10" drivers in my room and they shake the floor and seats. The UM series are really for sealed application and take a huge amount of power and Eq.

The drivers I have selected make for a much better designs then any of those drivers. The RSS 390HO only achieves an F3 of 33 Hz, so not really suitable.
Unfortunately Dayton changed the design of the RSS 460 HO. I did a design for the original driver, and a number of members built them, and it was an absolute killer sub. The I find that they did a redesign and the T/S parameters changed significantly. They really mucked the driver up, and I can not recommend it.

I must apologize, I linked the wrong sub design on my above post. The designs were one above the other and I clicked on the wrong file. Here is the design I should have sent you. I have also added another design from my file. So you now have designs for a 12" and a 15" unit. The 12" will produce 109 db. at 20 Hz, and the 15" 111 db. at 20 Hz. Both have very nice FRs and will be excellent subs.
Wow. thank you very much for all the designs. Let me try to figure it out for the box designs based on the info on those sheets (as I am going to get a company to make the boxes for me).
Am in no rush though.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Wow. thank you very much for all the designs. Let me try to figure it out for the box designs based on the info on those sheets (as I am going to get a company to make the boxes for me).
Am in no rush though.
If you re going to have them built, try and make sure you use a C & C shop. Then you can make 2 and it won't cost you a lot more, as the machine will crank out the parts in literally minutes.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis