Windows 7 or Windows 8 for HTPC?

L

Lordhumungus

Audioholic
If a user has no bias toward an operating system- Win8 is light years ahead of win7 in terms of intuitive use and interface. It also betters Win7 in almost every level of performance.
I'm not so sure that's the case. The biggest problem I've seen with Windows 8 is how inconsistent it is with everything it does. They tried for this spiffy new interface with gadgets and doodads (what are they called, charms?), but the experience is all over the place and as usual, there are 8395692 different ways to accomplish one thing, all of them very different. The worst part of all this aside from the fact that I don't like any of the extra touchscreen bloat slowing down my productivity is the fact that Microsoft will likely be trying to cram a different interface down our throats in a couple of years once Windows Phone 8 and Surface don't take off. The underlying tech is solid though, I will give them that, so for anyone who wants Windows 8 but prefers their old interface, there are several solutions out there. As far as WMC, it still exists for Windows 8, but is no longer free (I think as of January 31st). Overall I definitely won't call it the second coming of Windows Vista, which itself was the re-incarnation of the unholy Windows Millennium Edition (did anyone else hear a throng of computers blues creen at the same time just now?!?!), I have absolutely no interest in Windows 8 despite being able to get it for free anytime I choose.

Sadly, I think the biggest take away here is that everyday desktop computer users are quickly becoming the minority. As long as that's true, we're going to continue to lose features and make compromises for the functionality of the phone/tablet world. I see huge opportunity for Linux here.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Just got my new media pc today and it came with windows 8 on it. I played with it for a few mins. and thought it was terrible, so I promptly did a clean install of windows 7, and now all is well.
LOL. :D

Yeah, if Win7 ain't broken, don't fix it. :D

Maybe in 3 yrs when EVERYONE is using Win8, I may just go for it. But for now, I ain't fixing it. :eek:

Goat1

Goat1

Audioholic
I have Win 8 on my gaming machine and Win 7 on my HTPC. All Microsoft needed to do is leave the start button on and there wouldn't be so much confusion. Metro is fine as the start screen ,but once you go to desktop,there should be a start button. All they did was try to integrate a tablets interface with windows. Its a fail.. Its shouldn't be so difficult to uninstall a program,or get into the control panel. If they were smart,they would have a few items on the desktop,ie my computer and when you hover over it you get options that pop up so you can go right to it instead of going thru 8 different screens to get to it. I'm trying to understand why they don't do it that way.. Wind 8 is ok,fast and solid. But could have been implemented so much better.. If you want to move ahead and get into the future,start by having floating icons when you hover over a main icon.. A monkey could make a better interface..

D

DotJun

Audiophyte
Media center was given away for free for a time.

Windows 8 just runs faster. My transcodes are definitely faster.

People complained about the start button when it was first introduced in 95'.

Windows 8 as far as I can recall does not use windows mixer!

Porschefan

Porschefan

Audioholic Intern
I don't have any real problems with Win 8 (knock on wood). They've restored the start menu with 8.1 update. Ditto on booting to the desktop. You can also get a $5 program (Start8 from Stardock) that will mimic the Win 7 interface. That said, in the HTPC context, the Ceton Echo WMC extender will not work with 8 and Ceton isn't going to make it so. That and the fact that WMC in 8 requires Win 8 Pro + a $10 surcharge are surely valid reasons for using Win 7--assuming you can get it on a new PC. I have Win 7 on my main work machine, 8.1 on my laptop and I think 8 has a lot of nice touches...especially in the user interface design. My next laptop will be a touch screen and definitely 8. Just my .02.

STP

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Win7 still works great for me (XBMC). It's still not broken. And I'm still not fixing. :D

B

blcskate

Junior Audioholic
As an IT consultant who has worked in every MS operating system since DOS I personally like win 8. Sure there are some settings that need to be personalized based on tastes. I run a lot of my things in desktop mode since I am familiar with that (photo viewer, pdfs, etc...). The part that makes win 8 the best OS right now is the speed, the revised task manager, and the obvious growth ability with its Metro interface and store. Joining mobile, tablet, and PC into one ecosystem is a great ideal to work towards. If they can pull it off completely is to be seen, but the theory of it is very sound.

I have a win 8 pro HTPC with the free media center upgrade that came out. Its like 30 bucks now. I use it as a gaming rig as well. I have had zero issues with it since the day I built it. Most issues that people have with win 8 root cause from the bloatware that HP, Dell, etc... put on the system that is poorly coded garbage, or they simply do not take the time to change the default settings that they don't like.

B

blcskate

Junior Audioholic
Win7 still works great for me (XBMC). It's still not broken. And I'm still not fixing. :D
It will work in 8 as well, but as you said unless you need a new system there is no point in changing. Especially in the HTPC market. I could give some arguments for touch laptops. I was surprised how quickly I got used to touch on a laptop.

Goat1

Goat1

Audioholic
Jriver is the best media center I've tried.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

C

chronos56

Audioholic Intern
If your going to use a Windows Media Center Remote or a Harmony programmed to emulate one, then go with Windows 8. It is a very remote friendly interface. I currently have my HTPC running on 8 and really appreciate it. For the majority of playback I use XBMC from the desktop and Netflix as a Win8 App. From the Netflix app I can get 5.1 audio, no go with win 7 and a browser set to Netflix, stereo only.

For video tweaking use an ATI video card with Catalyst drivers, they allow you to tweak video playback brightness, contrast, color and hue on video playback, this also affects Win 8 apps like Netflix.

I use both 7 and 8 extensively and for this application 8 is the way to go.

Check out my first post on http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/home-theater-pc-htpc-media-servers/89514-htpc-harmony-remotes-plus-some-other-suggestions.html for more information on setting up a Harmony remote.

Jim

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It will work in 8 as well, but as you said unless you need a new system there is no point in changing. Especially in the HTPC market. I could give some arguments for touch laptops. I was surprised how quickly I got used to touch on a laptop.
I have one Win8 PC at home connected via Ethernet. I still can't figure how to access this Win8 PC via the Home Network, which I can do with all my Win7 PCs.

Any ideas?

I was about to wipe this Win8 and install Win7. :D

B

blcskate

Junior Audioholic
Do you have a Homegroup set up? If you do you should be able to get the password off one of your 7 machines and join it from your 8 machine. If not you can set one up on your 8 machine and do the opposite with the 7s. Its under Control Panel - Network and Internet in Win 7 & 8. Its basically the same setup for either OS.

If your not using a homegroup (the easiest way :) ) then look at the list below. It shows you some of the common problems. I would start there. When I first setup a homegroup I had 7 and 8 in it with zero problems. I have since upgraded all my machines to 8.1.

Why can’t I connect to other PCs? - Microsoft Windows Help

The third one is one of the most common with 8 and regular share networks. GL. Home networking has always been a pain in Windows. Since switching to homegroups though I have not really had any issues.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Do you have a Homegroup set up? If you do you should be able to get the password off one of your 7 machines and join it from your 8 machine. If not you can set one up on your 8 machine and do the opposite with the 7s. Its under Control Panel - Network and Internet in Win 7 & 8. Its basically the same setup for either OS.

If your not using a homegroup (the easiest way :) ) then look at the list below. It shows you some of the common problems. I would start there. When I first setup a homegroup I had 7 and 8 in it with zero problems. I have since upgraded all my machines to 8.1.

Why can’t I connect to other PCs? - Microsoft Windows Help

The third one is one of the most common with 8 and regular share networks. GL. Home networking has always been a pain in Windows. Since switching to homegroups though I have not really had any issues.
Yes, I use the Homegroup for all my Win7. That's why I can't figure out why the Win8 PC doesn't even show up at all in the Homegroup.

And when I go into the Win8 PC to join the Homegroup of all my other Win7 PCs, the Homegroup won't even show up to join. :eek: Win8 Pisses me off. :D

I will try again today and see. Otherwise, it's getting wiped. :D

B

blcskate

Junior Audioholic
Yes, I use the Homegroup for all my Win7. That's why I can't figure out why the Win8 PC doesn't even show up at all in the Homegroup.

And when I go into the Win8 PC to join the Homegroup of all my other Win7 PCs, the Homegroup won't even show up to join. :eek: Win8 Pisses me off. :D

I will try again today and see. Otherwise, it's getting wiped. :D
Weird, but I will say this. I set my homegroup up first with Win 8 and then connected my 7 machines to it. Not the other way around. Shouldn't matter, but I wonder if maybe something in the protocols is different between 7 and 8 and that 8 is backwards compatible with 7s logic, but not the other way around.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I say just blast Win. 8 and put Win. 7 on it.
LOL. That would be my proclivity. :D

But I will try again for 1 last time. I totally forgot about it yesterday when I got him. Think I'm losing it. Or maybe just too many torrents, if you know what I mean. ;) :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Join Windows 7 HomeGroup from Windows 8

Check this out for reference and GL. I hope it works for you.
Here are some comments from that link:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
dav8d says:
January 15, 2013 at 9:50 am
only if so easy. had two laptops both windows 7 and up and running in a homegroup with no issues. got a third laptop with windows 8. when i do the above and enter the homegroup password on the windows 8 pc it seems to be trying to verify then gives an error message “the Homegroup is no longer available”. neither of the two windows 7 laptops have gone asleep. no where can I figure out what to do. advice

<CITE class=fn>PartTimePal</CITE> says:
February 10, 2014 at 7:35 am
The only reason I am reading this article is because my win 8.1 laptop would not detect win 7 homegroup. The other win 7 laptop is detecting and connecting to the homegroup. SUCH A HEADACHE. Any/every response would be appreciated.

<CITE class=fn>Lars</CITE> says:
February 10, 2014 at 11:31 am
Trying to connect to a homegroup (windows 7) from a pc with windows 8. Have followed your tips above but I get a message that a problem occurred when configuring the homegroup. Tried to go to the troubleshooter…but that doesn’t work! What’s wrong?

<CITE class=fn>Ian</CITE> says:
March 20, 2014 at 5:35 pm
My problem was similar to the earlier commentators. My Win8 notebook recognised my desktop Homegroup and asked for the password then after “chewing it over” for a few minutes, said no homegroup recognised. In desperation, I tried changing the Homegroup access password on the desktop and when I entered that on the notebook it worked and allowed the notebook to join the Homegroup. Hope it works for you guys.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So maybe either starting the Homegroup with the Win8 PC and connecting all the PC to it or changing the old password?

I think wiping out Win8 and installing Win7 Ultimate sounds more fun. :D

B

blcskate

Junior Audioholic
Definitely possible. I know for sure I started my homegroup on 8 and then connected my other machines. I have not tried the other way around. I don't pay for Windows since I am a MSDN ultimate member. I liked 8 and I quickly upgraded all my machines to 8 pro. I have 4 laptops and 3 desktops all on my homegroup and it works flawlessly. I am one of those people though that don't like to have two OSs running.

I use 8 for everything gaming, programming, dvd ripping/encoding/etc... , photography, VPN, RDC, and a lot more. The only issue I ever had with 8 was the Cisco VPN anyconnect I was using would randomly restart my machine. I got a new release from Cisco and it fixed the problem. Outside of that all my Win 7 programs and everything I have used has been fine. I have a win 7 machine supplied by this current client. Its totally fine and feel basically the same as 8. The only thing for me is knowing its not current and knowing it doesn't have some of the new 8 features. I don't use them much, but I still get a sense of using a dated machine even though its brand new with i7 and SSD. Its like having a Galaxy S5 with JellyBean. Sure any android OS since 4.1 has done everything I need, but they still feel dated to use.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Definitely possible. I know for sure I started my homegroup on 8 and then connected my other machines. I have not tried the other way around. I don't pay for Windows since I am a MSDN ultimate member. I liked 8 and I quickly upgraded all my machines to 8 pro. I have 4 laptops and 3 desktops all on my homegroup and it works flawlessly. I am one of those people though that don't like to have two OSs running.

I use 8 for everything gaming, programming, dvd ripping/encoding/etc... , photography, VPN, RDC, and a lot more. The only issue I ever had with 8 was the Cisco VPN anyconnect I was using would randomly restart my machine. I got a new release from Cisco and it fixed the problem. Outside of that all my Win 7 programs and everything I have used has been fine. I have a win 7 machine supplied by this current client. Its totally fine and feel basically the same as 8. The only thing for me is knowing its not current and knowing it doesn't have some of the new 8 features. I don't use them much, but I still get a sense of using a dated machine even though its brand new with i7 and SSD. Its like having a Galaxy S5 with JellyBean. Sure any android OS since 4.1 has done everything I need, but they still feel dated to use.
I reinstalled factory Win8 and now Homegroup works perfectly. :D

Computers are so screwy. :eek:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis