Will this work together?

C

Cajun Ag

Enthusiast
I'm a long ways from an audiophile, and quite frankly it's killing me to spend the money setting up this home theater room when I've had my eye on a lathe and mill for my shop. Here's what I've pieced together from reading through various forums. I would like to know if I will have any issues with these components blending and being on speaking terms with one another.

Sanyo Z5 projector
Yamaha RXV 661 Receiver
Oppo Dv 981 DVD
Non-HD (right now) Direct-TV Sat
SVS Model SCS-01M 5.0 Package Spkrs
BIC H-100 Sub

That all comes to about $3200 w/o any cables, screen, etc. :(

Please feel free to give me some ideas on cutting some costs. I'd like to get this down about $700

Thanks in advance

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Everything should work very well together. To get good cheap cables I would recommend going to monoprice.com or bluejeanscables.com. Another place to look for speakers and a sub that would be less expensive would be HSU research. They have packages that are complete 5.1 set-ups and their horn speakers got a good review on this site as did their woofers.

B

Buckeye_Nut

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'm a long ways from an audiophile, and quite frankly it's killing me to spend the money setting up this home theater room when I've had my eye on a lathe and mill for my shop. Here's what I've pieced together from reading through various forums. I would like to know if I will have any issues with these components blending and being on speaking terms with one another.

Sanyo Z5 projector
Yamaha RXV 661 Receiver
Oppo Dv 981 DVD
Non-HD (right now) Direct-TV Sat
BIC H-100 Sub

That all comes to about $3200 w/o any cables, screen, etc. :(

Please feel free to give me some ideas on cutting some costs. I'd like to get this down about $700

Thanks in advance
The Bic sub stands out like a red herring. Since you're already buying from SVS.....get the SVS sub instead. SVS offers superior build quality & performance compared to the former, so you wont have any regrets.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Or you could look at the AV123 packages but I dont know if they are any cheaper than the SVS. I think you have done a good job picking out a pretty inexpensive system that will sound good.

Good point Buckeye; maybe look for a different sub.

Last edited:
jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
HT Gear

Cajun,
Good list of gear for the HT.
I agree on the BIC sub. You should consider one of the SVS packages with their 10" sub. They might still have the White and Silver colors on sale for $800 for a 5.1 system.

For souce material, you might consider an HD-DVD player for comparable cost to the Oppo. The Toshiba HD-A2 is selling for around $250 and will do a good job of upscalling regular DVDs in adition to HD-DVD playback. If you want a regualr DVD player, the Oppo's are great, I have the DV970. For your 720p projector, you could save a few bucks and go with the DV971 model.

Also, don't forget about a screen.

C

Cajun Ag

Enthusiast
Thanks again for the help.
I'm considering just going with the HSU Research Enthusiast 1 Pkg. Can you think of some other areas I may be able to cut costs? 661 Recvr? Any opinions on a good screen. Will need to be pull down or elect and I'll be viewing it from about 12' so what's good size.

no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
If you want the home theater, but want to spend the money on something you like more, spend it on what you like more.

If you would want a lathe, mill and a home theater, then may I suggest not buying everything for the home theater at once; perhaps starting with a 2.0 system and over time getting a full 5.1 system. And depending on if and what HD sources you may be planing on, you may be able to get along with the RX-V659 rather then the newer RX-V661.

Just a thought. :)

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Depending on your visual tolerance, a 100"-110" +/- dia. screen would be an appropriate starting point.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Av123 Gc

The X-series speakers from AV123 are another good option and their current Gift Certificate promotion will get you an extra 10% off.

With a front projection setup, it is nice to have a single video connection for all sources so the Yamaha RX-V661 w/ HDMI would be convenient.

You could cut costs slightly by initially projecting on to a white wall, getting a cheap pull down screen (DaLite, etc.), or a DIY fixed screen.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I'm a long ways from an audiophile, and quite frankly it's killing me to spend the money setting up this home theater room when I've had my eye on a lathe and mill for my shop.
Spending money on your HT room is killing you? :eek:

Try playing some Barry White on your Lathe in your Mill for your wife/girlfriend, and see how much Nooky you get. :eek:

That HT room should be looking better, and better when you see it in that light. :D

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord

The SVS system is $875

Look at this

5-x-cs Center/Main/Surround Loudspeaker's = $695

http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=speakers&product=91.1

There is $200 saved. Well almost. :D

If I was going to spend $800+ on speakers this is what I would do. JMO

2-x/mtm's $449
1-x/cs center $139
2-x/ls surrounds $219 or 2-x/cs surrounds $278

http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=speakers&product=105.1

http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=speakers&product=82.1

Might even want to look at the new sub they are offering? Looks interesting.

http://av123forum.com/showthread.php?t=22692

C

Cajun Ag

Enthusiast
mazersteven,
I am married and therefore nooky is unavailable and a non-issue. :D
thanks again for the info.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
mazersteven,
I am married and therefore nooky is unavailable and a non-issue. :D
thanks again for the info.
All the more reason to hide out in a man-cave with an awesome home theater.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis