will my old tv be compatible to newer dvd players?

S

se7en

Audioholic Intern
:confused: i have a sony hdtv proj about 2-3 years old. i was thinking of getting a better dvd with hdmi and dvi outputs cause the dvd i have is as old as my tv. my tv doesnt have hdmi/dvi inputs so will it be a waste to buy a better dvd player unless i upgrade my tv which i wont be? :confused:

H

happy540i

Junior Audioholic
if your tv has an input for dvi/hdmi, then the answer is yes you can use a new dvd player with your old tv. Also another thing to consider is that you can also use component video if you want to connect a new dvd player to an older hdtv.

bigbassdave

bigbassdave

Full Audioholic
The only way a new player is going to make a difference is if your current player is not capable of producing progressive scan. As long as your tv supports progressive scan, which I'm assuming it does due to the fact it is an HDTV, stick with the one you have, or if its not progressive than get a new one which is. You don't need hdmi or dvi to take advantage of this feature.

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
Because your TV does not have DVI/HDMI you will not be able to take advantage of the upscaling DVD players that are now available. They only output the higher resolutions through DVI/HDMI. They are supposed to work better with fixed pixel displays but I don't know why you wouldn't see an improvement in picture quality on a CRT RPTV. I'm in the same boat as you with my 4 year old Toshiba 56H80. The real bummer is when HD/BD DVD players are available we probably won't be able to watch the 1080i output as they will most likely only be available on DVI/HDMI. :mad:

S

se7en

Audioholic Intern
yah it def sux. you buy a tv and couple years later its old news. :eek:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis