will I be missing out??

B

beerman

Audiophyte
I'm buying a new hdtv, but have an old carver 875 reciever. Will I need to upgrade to say.. a 5.1 or 7.1 reciever to get all the bells & whistles w/ all the new tech,. that's avaiable nowdays or will my older equipment be adequate? I use klipsch heresey as my mains, velodyne v12 sub & bose accoustmass for surround. any feedback would be appreciated :)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
beerman said:
I'm buying a new hdtv, but have an old carver 875 reciever. Will I need to upgrade to say.. a 5.1 or 7.1 reciever to get all the bells & whistles w/ all the new tech,. that's avaiable nowdays or will my older equipment be adequate? I use klipsch heresey as my mains, velodyne v12 sub & bose accoustmass for surround. any feedback would be appreciated :)

Well, the question is, what is in that Carver beast? What can it do or not do? :D

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Well, you may be missing out on the nifty surround sound options and processing, but for pure quality, your old Carver and those vintage Klipsch speakers will stomp all over a lot of newer stuff. Audio companies just don't build stuff like they used to.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
If I understand, you have a two channel setup, correct?

If so and you have no desire for more than two channels then no, you're not missing anything.

If, however, you wish to avail yourself of the newer technologies with 5 (and more) channels and a separate low frequency effects channel then yes, you're missing a lot.

FWIW, I'm more than happy wit ha 5.1 setup. My room can't really accomodate and do justive to an additional surround speaker. 5.1 is really quite satisfying though.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
beerman said:
I found this link - almost identical to your question.
http://206.225.87.49/qa/qa99/qa113.html

racquetman

racquetman

Audioholic Chief
I'd say if you have a reciever that can decode Dolby Digital and DTS in at least 5.1 then you are set. Anything less than this, though, and I'd say you are missing out.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
If it's pro logic then I'd say it's time for an upgrade.

There's definitelty a world of difference. Those 5 discrete channels sound so much better than those four matrixed channels.

B

beerman

Audiophyte
thanx buckeye :) I'm hoping to have this figured out in time to see Tosu drill ut. :D

9f9c7z

Banned
Beerman - welcome to the board!
:)

beerman said:
... I use klipsch heresey as my mains ...
Wow! I still have one pair of those critters sitting in the corner over here. Gave the other pair of Heresy’s away. Don’t need them but can’t bring myself to part with them, either.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
I think a slight upgrade is called for. As the other article mentioned, you could use the amps of your receiver for power through a pre/pro like the Outlaw 990 ($1099). Those Hereseys are definetely sweet, but the Bose are totally opposite as far as timber matching is concerned. Perhaps a new set of surrounds are called for. Is there a requirement for a center as well? And do you have a budget in mind?

B

beerman

Audiophyte
I'm thinking about rplacing the bose, anyone have suggestions? ( i want to keep the mains, klipsch 'cause i just love the sound) my listining habits are 50/50 music-HT. also replacing the carver w/another reciever is an option I'd consider, or maybe keep the carver for two channel & use the newer rec. for surround, & ad a matching SS speaker system. :confused:

C

Cygnus

Senior Audioholic
markw said:
There's definitelty a world of difference. Those 5 discrete channels sound so much better than those four matrixed channels.
No, Dolby ProLogic is still matrixed. Dlby Digital is 5 descrete channels, not ProLogic.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
and, your point is???

Cygnus said:
No, Dolby ProLogic is still matrixed. Dlby Digital is 5 descrete channels, not ProLogic.
I thought I said that, no?

markw said:

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
What kind of criteria do the bose replacements have to meet? Small? Cheap?

I'd suggest that you check out some of Klipsch's Reference Series bookshelf speakers. They'll mesh the best with your Hereseys.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis