Will Bookshelf speakers work fine for Surround rear?

G

gankum

Audioholic Intern
Hello

Here's my WIP 5.1 HT system,
Front Left & Right = Focal Chorus 826V
Center channel = Focal Chorus CC800V
Subwoofer ( planning ) = JL Audio e110
Surround rear ( planning ) = Either Focal Chorus SR700(difficult choice for my room) or Focal Chorus 706(BookShelf).

Do you see any issues with using the mentioned bookshelf speakers for rear surround ?

I was originally planning to get the SR700 surround speakers, as recommended(by manufacturer/dealer), but it poses a problem with my room setup. If I were to mount these on the walls, they'd be placed slightly(by a feet) infront of the listening position (and not 90-110 as desired for rear surround). I have an opening towards the left of my seat, just behind the seat position(Right side wall is long and not an issue). Placing the rear surround slightly infront of the ears is bad, I suppose.

Another option for me is to mount the bookshelf speakers on tall stands behind me. Understand it should be above the ear position. What would be the minimum height of the stands I should be shooting for these ?

Also , should I need to be concerned about placing additional load on the receiver by using a bookshelf than a designated surround speaker ? (or the receiver calibration will take care of it)

Appreciate any advice/thoughts..
Thanks

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
They will do just fine. The surround speakers are normally positioned to the side of the listener. Choose stands that will put the speakers at ear level. The room calibration will resolve any differences in speaker sensitivity or distance to the listening position.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I use book shelves for my surround rears and they are in fact on my book shelves. They are mostly for "effects", even in multichannel SACDs and DVD-As programs there aren't much contents other than again, "effects". There are some who insist using the same big and capable floor standers, like same as the front L/Rs but there are always some.....

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
There are some who insist using the same big and capable floor standers, like same as the front L/Rs but there are always some.....
I agree. I didn't "insist", but as I replaced my Fronts, I moved the old Fronts to surrounds. So I had pretty good towers for L/R Surrounds and Rear Surrounds. They might have made a difference in big Bing/Bang/Boom movies, but not enough I would have spent money for them on purpose. In fact, I'm thinking about selling the old towers and going to something smaller and less obtrusive for surrounds.

G

gankum

Audioholic Intern
Thanks all ...,you guys are very helpful. Am going with Bookshelf speakers..

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis