Wikileaks: The CIA is Spying on All Your Electronics - And it's Getting Weird

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
The latest round of Wikileaks is called Year Zero and includes over 8,000 pages of details about how the CIA is spying on just about anything with an Internet connection. Its a sobering prospect that exploits to only a handful of operating systems, including iOS and Android, and provides backdoor access to just about everything that connects to the Internet. Your phone, TV and set top boxes are child's play - the CIA now has access to weaponized hacks on any Internet connected machinery or vehicle with electronic controls.

Read: Wikileaks: The CIA is Spying on All Your Electronics - And it's Getting Weird

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
"Wikileaks recently released a set of classified CIA documents..."

how did wikileaks get a hold of classified documents to begin with? :confused:

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
My guess is... mostly people at the CIA who are shocked about it conducting activities that they deem may not be in the best interest of the American people. Edward Snowden is a famous one that went to the media. It claims to follow a wiki structure so it's collaborative between many and nobody in particular.

One thing is for sure, the information put out by Wikileaks has always been reliable information. Assange may hyperbolize in his press releases but he doesn't exaggerate the documents themselves.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
now that we know the CIA has the ability to perform assassinations by taking control of moving vehicles.
Lets compare that Wikileaks says CIA docs ACTUALLY Say:
https://wikileaks.org/ciav7p1/cms/page_13763790.html

Potential
Mission Areas for EDB (Embedded Devices Branch)
  • Firmware Targets
  • Software Targets
    • Linux/Unix
      BSD
    • Solaris
    • VxWorks - not addressed by any EDB work
    • QNX - not addressed by any EDB work, big player in VSEP

Last edited:
C

class a

Junior Audioholic
Does this mean I can't watch TV in my under ware anymore???o_Oo_O

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
"Wikileaks recently released a set of classified CIA documents..."

Was some speculation could have been via a contractor.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Potential Mission Areas for EDB (Embedded Devices Branch)
  • Firmware Targets
  • Software Targets
    • Linux/Unix
      BSD
    • Solaris
    • VxWorks - not addressed by any EDB work
    • QNX - not addressed by any EDB work, big player in VSEP
BSA
Any post that includes a John Oliver video is a good post. I love that guy. He's like Lewis Black, but with a better accent.

On the topic of the CIA and weaponized tools: I am definitely of two minds. I expect the spooks who work for the U.S. Govt. to be building and arming for the next type of war : a cyber war or one fought inside computers, networks and smart devices of all kinds. They better be not only preparing tools to fight such a war, they better be playing to win because its a sure thing every other large entity with a budget is preparing to do the same. Defensive tools might also be handy.

The other side of that coin is the fear side : fear that the spooks will use those tools against you and I or anyone they deem worthy of a snoop or an interruption. That's not tin foil hats fear of things that have no merit, I think that's a legitimate fear given the track record of unsupervised groups with little or no oversite.

Knowing that a conflict will come with another nation or organized group, which would I rather see? A government unprepared (no tools, no countermeasures, no clue?) to deal with it or one that has the tools and could possibly misuse them on me. I would go for the prepared, locked and loaded approach and then use public policy and the rule of law to keep the spooks in line as much as we can.

The most disturbing thing to me about the Wikileaks disclosures about the CIA isn't the tools, or the targets, or even their current abilities. The most disturbing thing to me is that in 2017 after as many hacks and leaks as they've had, they CONTINUE to get hacked and leaked. This is one of our best secret groups. And they can't keep a secret a secret. That's what I find most disturbing. If they can't keep a secret, how can you or I protect our privacy?

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
the CIA now has access to weaponized hacks on any Internet connected machinery or vehicle with electronic controls.

Read: Wikileaks: The CIA is Spying on All Your Electronics - And it's Getting Weird
You thought spying on electronics was weird this morning? I think things just turn a decidedly weird turn this evening that makes this morning pale by comparison. Just think of what weaponized attacks could be launched against these "smart devices".

Sex Toy Spying On Owners

One has to ask the question : at what point does a device cry out so loudly that you're going to get spied on that you have to be a total moron to buy it? An internet linked sex toy? I'm thinking we've reached some sort of new low here.

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
You thought spying on electronics was weird this morning?
Not the spying per-se. The part I thought was weird was the culture hacking. The idea the CIA has a team of agents studying Peppe the Frog and cute animal pictures with words over top of them trying to discern how this cultural power can be harnessed for its purposes.

Allen Powers

Allen Powers

Audiophyte
Wikileaks is an arm of the Russian intelligence service. I trust them about as much as I do Vladimir Putin. Every single intelligence agency from every single country is up to no good, it's what they do. Wikileaks LOVES to single out the United States and their intelligence programs at the benefit of Russia.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis