Wii install question

mpompey

mpompey

Senior Audioholic
I have a friend that is in the final stages of converting his basement into a theatre. Prior to the sheet rock going up, we ran all the cables to a separate closet area adjoining the listening area to house the equipment, receiver, server, etc. We are using an IR/RF system from URC to control the equipment that is is the equipment closet.

However, we now have a request from to put a wii in the room. I know the wii is wireless but I am unsure of whether it can go into the equipment closet or if they need to get a small A/V stand to place underneath the wall mounted plasma.

Any recommendation for fitting this addition in?

C

cpd

Full Audioholic
The console itself can go in the closet . There is a sensor bar, however, that must be placed in front of the TV and must be connected to the console. This sensor receives the signal from the wireless controllers used to play games.

mpompey

mpompey

Senior Audioholic
That's right. I forgot. Can the sensor bar be extended?

mpompey

mpompey

Senior Audioholic
I saw this too. I wonder if there is an RF solution that I could plug this thing into?

B

bpape

Audioholic Chief
Guess I'm confused. If you already have an IR/RF repeater system running to the closet, why can't you just stick an emitter from that onto the Wii bar?

Bryan

mpompey

mpompey

Senior Audioholic
I'm sorry I must not have explained it right.

We are using the URC RFS200 PowerPak Bundle w/ MasterControl RF20 and PowerBlaster. The IR/RF repeater is in the closet with the gear, in the main area we have an IR/RF universal remote. The only component in the room is the TV (which gets the IR signals from the universal remote), everything else is controlled after with leads from the base station.

The wireless solutions I've seen for the sensor bar are IR and wouldn't work, as the receiver that plugs into the Wii wouldn't be able to pick up the IR signal through the wall.

What would be great is if I found a wireless sensor bar that had an RF emitter to an RF receiver that plugged into Wii so I could control through the walls.

C

cpd

Full Audioholic
Is it too late to fish wires through the walls? If not I would recommend that.

I'm not sure the rf solution you suggest is even possible but I would be wary of introducing another rf signal for fear that it might interfere with your URC rf base station. When I had my URC rf system in my main room I could never get it to work properly. The base station was always picking up other rf signals and when it does that it will not receive a signal from the remote. Once I moved it to the bedroom further away from other rf signals, it performed flawlessly.

caper26

caper26

Full Audioholic
The "pointer" uses the 'sensor bar' located above/below the screen. The motion inside the wii-mote uses blue tooth...so, you never have to have the wii console 'in-view' of the wii-mote. There are options for powering the sensor:
  • oem wii sosnor bar
  • wii sensor bar with extension cable
  • wireless sensor bar (battery powered...I do not recommend this one)
  • USB powered sensor bar ( I have this one...see picture below). Also has outlet adapter of you have no USB source.
  • Sensor "eyes" for projector applications

At the bottom of my TV is the USB sensor bar, connected to the USB port of my TV.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis