Wii-ercise Debunked Go Get Some Real Exercise!

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The popularity of the Wii has been somewhat of a surprise to other players in the gaming industry. The novel motion based control system has been cited as a likely factor in attracting non-gamers to the Wii and current popular opinion is that using the Wii may actually constitute some sort of exercise. But despite the anecdotal aches and pains reported by couch potatoes it is not real exercise according to some real research. Ars Technica discusses a peer reviewed MedPage Today report concerning a clinical study entitled Comparison of energy expenditure in adolescents when playing new generation and sedentary computer games: cross sectional study, and is being published in the Dec. 22 issue of the British Medical Journal.

Discuss "Wii-ercise Debunked Go Get Some Real Exercise!" here. Read the article.

N

NeverSeen

Audioholic
These guys never played Wii I guess??

EVERY time someone comes over and plays tennis or boxing at my house I notice they are tired, winded, and sweaty. For that to be happening they would need to be burning calories... How is it not exercise?

I'm not talking fat couch potatos. My friends are all active 20 somethings. When my cousins come over the results of the Wii are the same and they are highly active 5-12 year olds.

Sounds like $ony and Micro$oft paid someone off to make up for thier own failures??

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I agree.. the boxing game really works the shoulder muscles. I'd rather play with my Wii then my SEXBOX.

SheepStar

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
If you sit on the couch and just use your wrists to do the motions of the game, you wont break a sweat, but if you get up and do real motions of punching, ducking, etc, you will get a good workout. I walked away from boxing a bit winded and tired and I exercise regularly. Wii rocks!

Matt34

Matt34

Can't wait for my wife to open "her" Wii. She managed to get Wii Play, Super Mario Galaxy and Lego Star Wars.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis