Widescreen displays

P

project86

Audioholic
Now that I've got a new 50" Panny plasma, I'm glad that TV shows broadcast in HD will fill my screen. But I mainly enjoy watching movies, and since they are almost always 2.35:1 or 2.4:1, I still have to deal with wasted real estate. If given the choice, I'd much rather get a set that was 2.4:1 and use black bars on the sides if needed for 1.78 type material.

Has there even bee, or is there plans for, a 2.4:1 very wide screen set? I can't think of a reason not to offer something like that.

I'm not including projectors in this discussion of course.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Now that I've got a new 50" Panny plasma, I'm glad that TV shows broadcast in HD will fill my screen. But I mainly enjoy watching movies, and since they are almost always 2.35:1 or 2.4:1, I still have to deal with wasted real estate. If given the choice, I'd much rather get a set that was 2.4:1 and use black bars on the sides if needed for 1.78 type material.

Has there even bee, or is there plans for, a 2.4:1 very wide screen set? I can't think of a reason not to offer something like that.

I'm not including projectors in this discussion of course.
Most likely there are no plans for such a TV as most of the public watch TVs most of the time and want a full picture. AN HD TV is 1.77.

M

Martiad3

Audioholic
I'm pretty sure that some front projectors (or at least certain lens assemblies) will give you a 2.4:1 image.

AVSForums have some good stuff on all that, mostly over my head though.

P

project86

Audioholic
Yeah I'm sure projectors can give that option, and I guess when most people build a dedicated theater room for movie watching, they use a projector. It still seems like some company at some point would have made a plasma or LCD in that format, just to see how well it would sell. I know several people besides myself who don't have the space or budget for a full theater room, yet use our large plasmas or LCD's almost exclusively for movies.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I'm pretty sure that some front projectors (or at least certain lens assemblies) will give you a 2.4:1 image.

AVSForums have some good stuff on all that, mostly over my head though.
Yes, that is a constant height, 2.35 screen setup. The widths then changes.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
It seems to me that I have seen TVs like that, in a magazine.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis