Why no 40 inch OLED TVs?

L

lonwa

Audioholic Intern
It's a sad day. After 12 years of wonder viewing experiences, my beloved 50 inch Pioneer Elite PDP has died. =(

That said, I am actually pretty excited to replace it. 12 years is a long time. Thats not to say I have not seen anything great since. I did purchase a Panasonic TC-P60VT60 right before Panasonic stopped making plasmas about 3 years ago. Nice TV.

We did move the Pioneer to a second viewing room after we bought the Panny, and it was always over sized there. So in terms of replacing it, moving the Panny over there is out of the question as its even larger. Given I like the best quality picture I can get, OLED is the choice I believe. I was sad to see that after 3 years since I last researched TVs, that LG is the only OLED game in town, and the smallest they make is 55 inches. Why nothing smaller? Is there smaller and I am just not seeing it?

Well regardless, if there is not a 40inch OLED I still need something new. What do you guys recommend in the 40-43 inch range that is not sacrificing too much on the video quality?

Thanks

Long

L

lonwa

Audioholic Intern
Unfortunately yes. If I wasn't I would go with the 55 inch oled from LG.

L

lonwa

Audioholic Intern
Thanks. Any concerns about viewing angles with these LCD TVs? I will be sitting about 1 foot below the center point of the TV, as well as about 1-2 feet left or right of the center. With Plasma I have never had to worry about this.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
.Not as bad as they used to be, but there is a difference. If it's wall mounted using a tilt bracket will eliminate it.

Thanks. Any concerns about viewing angles with these LCD TVs? I will be sitting about 1 foot below the center point of the TV, as well as about 1-2 feet left or right of the center. With Plasma I have never had to worry about this.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I'm looking at the above mentioned sony myself, but the 55" 850D version. The 850 uses IPS panels which are as good as you can get for LCD viewing angle. The 800 series is a VA panel which aren't as good. I'd consider stepping up to the 830C if I were you to get the IPS panel and 120HZ refresh rate.

Be sure you get it somewhere with a good return policy. I have the Panny VT60 myself and have had a difficult time finding a non-OLED TV that isn't terrible. IPS panels tend to have less blur and better off axis viewing so those look the best to me. The 850D looked great when I saw it in the store, but using it at home will be the true test once calibrated.

L

lonwa

Audioholic Intern
thanks. i went and saw both the sony and LG oled at bestbuy. they both look really good with 4k content. how will they look with compressed directv and netflix? i rarely get to watch something uncompressed these days.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
OK, a foot below center and 1'-2' to the side, but from what distance? 1' below from 15' is less than 4 degrees, far less than the recommended maximum of 15 degrees off-line. If you were 6' away, it would be a different matter.

L

lonwa

Audioholic Intern
Is the 60hz refresh rate going to be an issue with both the Samsung and Sony models of this screen size?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Is the 60hz refresh rate going to be an issue with both the Samsung and Sony models of this screen size?
i wouldn't say it would be an issue, but the 120hz sets are going to be better overall, not just in refresh rate. At least from the same manufacturer. You really ought to just go look at them in person. If you like what you see, go for it.

E

efithian

Audiophyte
There are no 40" OLED TVs, but there is a 30". Price is rather high, but it is a good unit.
Sony BVM-X300 4K V2 OLED Master Monitor

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
It's a sad day. After 12 years of wonder viewing experiences, my beloved 50 inch Pioneer Elite PDP has died. =(

That said, I am actually pretty excited to replace it. 12 years is a long time. Thats not to say I have not seen anything great since. I did purchase a Panasonic TC-P60VT60 right before Panasonic stopped making plasmas about 3 years ago. Nice TV.

We did move the Pioneer to a second viewing room after we bought the Panny, and it was always over sized there. So in terms of replacing it, moving the Panny over there is out of the question as its even larger. Given I like the best quality picture I can get, OLED is the choice I believe. I was sad to see that after 3 years since I last researched TVs, that LG is the only OLED game in town, and the smallest they make is 55 inches. Why nothing smaller? Is there smaller and I am just not seeing it?

Well regardless, if there is not a 40inch OLED I still need something new. What do you guys recommend in the 40-43 inch range that is not sacrificing too much on the video quality?

Thanks

Long

Check the power supply.

E

efithian

Audiophyte
The LG 43MU79 is pretty good. It has HDMI 2 inputs and DP. No tuner. Around $1300 or so. I sit 18" from it at a desk. IPS.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis