Why is the Marantz sr6004 have less power than the sr5003

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
I think we are in agreement. Your words "can be" are the key words. It can be, may be even more often than not, but not always a crucial factor. Even within the class A/B group you can find examples where weight do not guarantee more power. Example: Bryston 4BSST/2 vs Emotiva XPA-2. The Bryston is just as powerful but 30 lbs lighter.

The Marantz 5003 weighs about the same as the 6004. I still think HTM did their measurements under slightly different conditions. May be when they did the 5003 they held the supply voltage constant, or something like that.....

Just an aside, if I remember correctly HTM rated the 6004 top pick but not the 5003.
As I stated above, my comments were directed to the AVR category and in the price segment of SRP <$999.. As you go into other product categories and price segments, other factors enter/complicate the discussions.

Regarding test reports, very few do a complete run through for power output measurements.. Even though, an AP system can run the amplifier measurements in 10 minutes few publications spend the $ or time to do these.

Just my $0.01.. ;)

N

niles300z

Audiophyte
This is why I love vintage gear. Put an old Sansui 100 W receiver up against any of these $1000 AVR's and it will blow it right out of the water on 2 channel music.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
This is why I love vintage gear. Put an old Sansui 100 W receiver up against any of these $1000 AVR's and it will blow it right out of the water on 2 channel music.
Yes vintage watts are kinda like tubey watts, much better than regular watts.

ps Nice thread resurrection!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis