Why is SACD not really succeeding?

maximoiglesias

maximoiglesias

Audioholic
Sacd

I recently bought a Sony DVD player with SACD capability because I belive we should support this format that enhances the audio capability of our system for our musical enjoynment.
I knew there are few titles available, other than jazz and classical, but I went ahead and got my Player so I can enjoy music as much and the best that is possible.
We are audioholics, right??

My favorite music is rock and some pop but I will actually buy some jazz and some classical discs.

If this format ever disapears, we still have DTS 5.1 CDs which are as good as SACD.

kingdaddy

kingdaddy

Audioholic Intern
dvda-sacd said:
They are enough to sustain SACD as a profitable worldwide niche market, because there are many jazz and classical music lovers all around the world. Internet makes it possible.
That’s opinion, your opinion, but the numbers say differently, the percentage of classical music listeners overall is miniscule, almost non existent on the scale of all music and the fact that SACD is going down hill fast and far less available to the masses is proof of this assertion.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
kingdaddy said:
That’s opinion, your opinion, but the numbers say differently, the percentage of classical music listeners overall is miniscule, almost non existent on the scale of all music and the fact that SACD is going down hill fast and far less available to the masses is proof of this assertion.
I thought I'd get back in on this thread. SACD has always been a niche market, and I don't think it was ever up the hill, let alone on top of the hill (in terms of popularity, as far as quality, I think it's at the top of the heap with some disks, and not just BIA and DSOM). dvda-sacd is simply writing that sacd may very well remain as a niche market, at least for the proximate future. Particularly since Sony just developed this ucmf process:
http://www.sa-cd.net/shownews/41.
What's the beef? If you don't like it, don't listen to them. I still get dedazzled on a good mix with my 5803 and 'digms!

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
maximoiglesias said:
I recently bought a Sony DVD player with SACD capability because I belive we should support this format that enhances the audio capability of our system for our musical enjoynment.
I knew there are few titles available, other than jazz and classical, but I went ahead and got my Player so I can enjoy music as much and the best that is possible.
We are audioholics, right??

My favorite music is rock and some pop but I will actually buy some jazz and some classical discs.

If this format ever disapears, we still have DTS 5.1 CDs which are as good as SACD.
But DTS and SACD are not even close to the same thing except surround. BTW,i like DTS also.

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
kingdaddy said:
I belive non-existent is going to far. 16-40 years of age,you might be right. 40 up you might be wrong.

dvda-sacd

dvda-sacd

Junior Audioholic
kingdaddy said:
I don't care that we, the classical music listeners, are a minuscule percentage. New SACD titles are coming weekly and there exists an endless list of SACD compatible players. I usually buy SACDs every week, so my SACD collection (Classical, Jazz, Pop/Rock) is growing quickly.

:) Cheers!

B

BostonMark

Audioholic
numbers game

Yes, classical is a "miniscule" amount of all music sales, but since music sales are in the billions, a "miniscule" market is still substantial enough to keep classical issues alive and well. As a lover of pop and rock, I also have a "miniscule" classical collection. I have over 1600 CDs, and about 150 -200 of them are classical and opera.

Other MINISCULE companies.

Ferrari sales are a Miniscule amount of total auto sales.

I.W.C. watches are a Miniscule amount of total watch sales.

INSERT YOUR FAVORITE ESOTERIC HIGH END AUDIO MANFACTURER HERE are a miniscule portion of overall audio electronic sales.

If the majority ruled, we'd all get to listen to top 40 on our Bose cubes

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
BostonMark said:
If the majority ruled, we'd all get to listen to top 40 on our Bose cubes
Just what I would need to croak:D

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
Does Sony really think this is going to grab joe blow?

You guys tell me,what % of walkins to BestBuy knows any of this
Hi,i'm looking for a SACD for my son,its his birthday. Sure,would you like a Hybrid mono,hybrid stereo,hybrid multichannel,single layer multichannel,single layer stereo,or our special of the day,pure DSD SACD. I'll just get a cd,thinks.Gee,and we wonder whats the problem.

C

charonme

Audiophyte
defective by design

maybe it's the "defective by design" idea?

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
Wow, this thread brought back some memories.............but sacd/dvda is all but dead now.......replaced by the new kid on the block, blu ray.

Charonme.......Welcome! but this thread is over 2 years old!!

W

wiyosaya

Audioholic
Wow, this thread brought back some memories.............but sacd/dvda is all but dead now.......replaced by the new kid on the block, blu ray.

Charonme.......Welcome! but this thread is over 2 years old!!
I was going to say the same thing. Blu-ray audio is a potentially promising format. Heck, I think I even saw a couple of Bu-ray audio titles at Sam's Club the last time I was there.

Part of the problem may also have been the outrageous price for players when they first hit the market - IMHO.

skizzerflake

skizzerflake

Audioholic Field Marshall
SACD seems to have some low level of life in it, since it's been picked by by small audiophile catalogs. I love my SACD player, along with all 4 disks I have and that's the problem...two incompatible formats for a while, separate connections for all 5 channels, small offerings and a declining culture of music listening in our culture. Oh well. Back to crappy old cds and lossy compressed music files.

W

wiyosaya

Audioholic
SACD seems to have some low level of life in it, since it's been picked by by small audiophile catalogs. I love my SACD player, along with all 4 disks I have and that's the problem...two incompatible formats for a while, separate connections for all 5 channels, small offerings and a declining culture of music listening in our culture. Oh well. Back to crappy old cds and lossy compressed music files.
Unless, of course, you count losslessly compressed ;) Blu-ray audio.

It sounds like somewhat of a niche market. I never owned a SACD or DVDa player (unless you count the fact that I could flash the ROM in my current DVD player and have both ;)), however, I did own two different laser disc players. That's an all but dead format, too, that was far superior to other formats during its time.

Shintsu

Shintsu

Banned
I think availability. I'd love to use SACDs but I have never once found one or have any idea where I can find them. Never seen them at Best Buy, Circuit City, or any other big box store unless they're hidden among the regular CDs. People probably don't know enough about it. I for one, don't know if you have to have a special player to play it either. People probably figure it's hard to find and don't know if it works so why bother?

A

allargon

Audioholic General
I think availability. I'd love to use SACDs but I have never once found one or have any idea where I can find them. Never seen them at Best Buy, Circuit City, or any other big box store unless they're hidden among the regular CDs. People probably don't know enough about it. I for one, don't know if you have to have a special player to play it either. People probably figure it's hard to find and don't know if it works so why bother?
Fry's, Amazon.com, Audiogon, E-bay, etc...

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I mean the CDs, not the players. Never seen the discs anywhere.
If you mean you've been looking in stores recently, then no you aren't going to see any. Most major stores realized they can't move them in volume so they dropped them. My Fry's selection has dropped to nearly zero in store, and all other B&M stores haven't had them in a long time.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis