Why can't I find Pioneer Elite receivers anymore?

S

SJTrance

Audioholic
I was trying to find a Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH for a friend who is setting up his home theater. I remember them being found for around $500 and now, they're nowhere to be found. Anyone has any heads up on where I can get one? Is Pioneer coming out with some new ones or something?

I know Pioneers very well because I have one and am completely happy with it, but if I can't, what else can I find that is comparable and in that relative price range?

S

Superfly

Audioholic Intern
Yep, the new models are coming 1.4 hdmi compliant.
I could be wrong but I think the elite line is due out in July

S

SJTrance

Audioholic
I think I read somewhere they may be coming out in mid June, right?

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Pioneer Japan corporate is in shambles..
They had a multi-billion $ writedown with the closure of their plasma business, car audio biz OE & aftermarket is off 58%..
To survive Honda now owns 30% and Sharp owns 20%, their AVRs are now developed & sourced by outside factories...

Limited $ hold back their new products and respective introductions.

Just my $0.00.. ;)

S

SJTrance

Audioholic
Wow!!! That's all news to me. I guess I'll be looking into Denon receivers for now, then.

Anyone have an idea what is a comparable receiver to the VSX-21TXH receiver from either Denon or Harman Kardon? I like those companies more than Onkyo, but if they have a better one, I'll certainly consider that.

M

m_vanmeter

Full Audioholic
start with the Denon 2310ci and go "up line" from there. Don't be put off by the very conservative power ratings, Denon and H/K are both very good about not playing the "more watts sell units" game.

Use Denon's list of authorized internet dealers for your shopping - do not buy from an unauthorized dealer or your warranty may not be good.
http://www.usa.denon.com/OnlineETailers.asp
usually a telephone call (I know, old fashioned) will get better sale prices

S

SJTrance

Audioholic
Yeah, I think that specific Denon is the way to go. Thanks for the advice.

B

bmninada

Audioholic
Do NOT buy Pioneer anymore. I have confirmed reports (from equity research) their A/V units have a (a) Different engineering team (b) Mostly geared towards car audio as the top management of their R&D A/V team are from 2 car companies (c) Their manufacturing facilities have been "toned" down (d) Many of the US/EU service centers did not re-initiate contract due to new conditions (e) They are currently not very financially stable

A

AndyParsons

Audiophyte
Hi folks, Andy Parsons here from Pioneer Electronics. This thread concerns me because there are some assertions in it that are simply not accurate.

I want to reassure you that Pioneer is doing fine, and no one should be concerned about buying our products. It's certainly no secret that we went through a difficult period while exiting the plasma TV business, and, like many CE companies, we had our challenges with the economic slowdown during a very tough 2009. But I want you to know that our company has not reduced our commitment to the same business we started with more than 70 years ago, which is to design and produce the best quality, most innovative audio and video components our people know how to build.

I've been with Pioneer for more than 25 years, and come from the product and technology side of the business. I know many of the engineers and product planning people in Japan personally, and I will tell you that _none_ of them are interested in tolerating any reduction in our build quality or in settling for a mediocre product design. In fact, it's very much the opposite. If, for example, you were to check out the sound and build quality of our SC series receivers, you will find that these products epitomize what Pioneer Elite has been about since the line's introduction in the '80s. I currently have an SC-25 in my system at home, and the only problem I have is trying to figure out what to do with my three older Elite units (VSX-53, VSX-39TX, VSX-54TX) that simply refuse to break after many years of frequent use.

So please do not hesitate to take a serious look at our products. By all means, compare them against the very fine models that Denon and our other competitors make, and most important, give them an in-person audition if you can. I think you'll find that we have not changed our design approach and quality commitment one bit. Pioneer isn't going anywhere, and you can feel confident that if you like what you see, feel and hear, you'll be able to depend on both our products and our company for many years to come.

-- Andy Parsons
SVP, Advanced Product Development
Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc.
Long Beach, CA

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
I have my eyes on an SC-27 if it drops at least another 100.00 I believe it will then reside in my HT.:D

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Do NOT buy Pioneer anymore. I have confirmed reports (from equity research) their A/V units have a (a) Different engineering team (b) Mostly geared towards car audio as the top management of their R&D A/V team are from 2 car companies (c) Their manufacturing facilities have been "toned" down (d) Many of the US/EU service centers did not re-initiate contract due to new conditions (e) They are currently not very financially stable
Saying that you have confirmed reports and not disclosing them is meaningless and leads people/companies to initiate legal action. That's no different from over-the-fence gossip, regardless of how certain of the reports you are. Parts Express has all kinds of new models- any first-hand experience with the new ones?

With as much video that's used in cars over the last 15 years, why would using design teams from car companies be so bad? They all use the same technology, right? It's not rocket surgery.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Hi folks, Andy Parsons here from Pioneer Electronics. This thread concerns me because there are some assertions in it that are simply not accurate.

I want to reassure you that Pioneer is doing fine, and no one should be concerned about buying our products. It's certainly no secret that we went through a difficult period while exiting the plasma TV business, and, like many CE companies, we had our challenges with the economic slowdown during a very tough 2009. But I want you to know that our company has not reduced our commitment to the same business we started with more than 70 years ago, which is to design and produce the best quality, most innovative audio and video components our people know how to build.

I've been with Pioneer for more than 25 years, and come from the product and technology side of the business. I know many of the engineers and product planning people in Japan personally, and I will tell you that _none_ of them are interested in tolerating any reduction in our build quality or in settling for a mediocre product design. In fact, it's very much the opposite. If, for example, you were to check out the sound and build quality of our SC series receivers, you will find that these products epitomize what Pioneer Elite has been about since the line's introduction in the '80s. I currently have an SC-25 in my system at home, and the only problem I have is trying to figure out what to do with my three older Elite units (VSX-53, VSX-39TX, VSX-54TX) that simply refuse to break after many years of frequent use.

So please do not hesitate to take a serious look at our products. By all means, compare them against the very fine models that Denon and our other competitors make, and most important, give them an in-person audition if you can. I think you'll find that we have not changed our design approach and quality commitment one bit. Pioneer isn't going anywhere, and you can feel confident that if you like what you see, feel and hear, you'll be able to depend on both our products and our company for many years to come.

-- Andy Parsons
SVP, Advanced Product Development
Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc.
Long Beach, CA
Andy, thank you for taking some time to stop in and post.... Nice to have some people that are onboard with companies to take some time and hopefully answer some questions here, not just quash rumors... People like to be able to get answers and post alot on forums and sometimes things tend to get askew from time to time.
Keeps things more balanced and on the level instead of rumor and conjecture setting in...

I have owned a few Pioneer products with one still running in one of my systems. I would like to upgrade to a prepro - any chance something can be seen from the Pioneer dept, to compete with some of the other manufacturers names. I'm sure many people have external amps and would like to have a dedicated preamp with balanced outs sans amp...

S

SJTrance

Audioholic
Wow, this thread just got interesting. The thing is, I absolutely LOVE my current Pioneer Elite receiver. I know it well and I really like the sound from it. I would hope to continue buying the Elite receivers as long as the quality is maintained. I mean, if the receivers are not up to task, we'll know about it quickly. You can't put a crap quality product out into the AV world and not have people notice. The question is... will I be the first to try it out. I'd say yes... well, if it's within my budget.

xego

xego

Junior Audioholic
start with the Denon 2310ci and go "up line" from there. Don't be put off by the very conservative power ratings, Denon and H/K are both very good about not playing the "more watts sell units" game.

Use Denon's list of authorized internet dealers for your shopping - do not buy from an unauthorized dealer or your warranty may not be good.
http://www.usa.denon.com/OnlineETailers.asp
usually a telephone call (I know, old fashioned) will get better sale prices
I am glad that you said that about authorized dealers for Denon I am looking at the 2310ci and the dealer is on the list...good to know thanks

xego

xego

Junior Audioholic
Pioneer Troll ...Just kidding ...I love Pioneer:D I went to the BB to look at the VSX-820 (which is a great receiver at that price point) and the guy there told me they were selling a lot of them. I am sad about the Plasma line I really really want a Kuro.

S

SJTrance

Audioholic
Their TV's were always out of my price range anyhow. But yes, they were absolutely beautiful.

xego

xego

Junior Audioholic
My Best Buy had several, I was just there an hour ago. Maybe it is demographics and you live in SonyTown...:D don't get mad:mad:J/k

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis