Why are audio stands so damn expensive?

B

Bluesmoke

Audioholic Chief
No matter where I look to find a 3-4 shelf stand, it's in the $300+. Even shoddy ones that Future Shop carry, that looks like they're going to fall apart is listed at $399.

I checked out Walmart, and they have a decent one, but there's no way a receiver ever fits in there.

Can anyone point out some places where I can find a decent audio stand without breaking the wallet?

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Quality stands of wood or steel and glass are going to be expensive no matter what. http://www.racksandstands.com has a pretty wide selection at all price ranges.

I would suggest visiting furniture stores. Sometimes they have solid wood units that might meet your needs and will be cheaper because they are not designated as specialty audio furniture.

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
Check tnt-audio's web site they have a very nice DIY rack. I have built one of their dual flexy racks and I am very happy with it. It always gets favorable comments from visitors.:cool:

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I've been lucky with some standard knock down furniture brands like Busch, O'Sullivan and the like. Chesk out Target, K-Mart, even Wal-Mart, but the latter hasn't really shown anything decent lately.

Actually, check out any place you can think of that sells this kind of stuff.

hemiram

hemiram

Full Audioholic
Try Big Lots, they have a nice glass and steel audio rack for about 89-100 bucks, made by Powell, it's pretty solid. Not spectacular, but for $100 bucks out the door, it's not bad at all. Very easy assembly too. It's very well packed, but very hard for one person to move around. I ended up taking some rope and packing tape and making a handle to carry it into the house. It weighs about 80 pounds.

Same rack, twice as much money:

http://www.racksandstands.com/Powell-Furniture-633-276-4PW2243.html

Cheapest I've seen on line is $141.00.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis